Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Do i have to setup the cellular functionality on the apple watch?

I am looking to purchase a Apple Watch 7. Through my company it looks like they only have the GPS + cellular. I don't want to setup the cellular part, can you still use the watch in its full functionality without the cellular part? (I know I wont be able to make calls if I don't set it up but other than that)

Apple Watch Series 7

Posted on Jan 4, 2022 6:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 4, 2022 6:45 AM

Yes you don't need cellular to make calls or send texts,just need to have your phone with you to do those things.

If you don't activate the cellular part then the watch functions as if it is a GPS only model.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 4, 2022 6:45 AM in response to adnye05

Yes you don't need cellular to make calls or send texts,just need to have your phone with you to do those things.

If you don't activate the cellular part then the watch functions as if it is a GPS only model.

Jan 4, 2022 6:50 AM in response to adnye05

It is not necessary to activate the cellular on the Apple Watch, and it will fully function without it, so long as you have the paired iPhone with you. You will still be able to make phone calls with the Watch so long as you have your iPhone with you, just not when you only have the Watch by itself. See this for an explanation of differences. Use Apple Watch without its paired iPhone - Apple Support You can also see this Apple support document for setup assistance Set up your Apple Watch - Apple Support and this additional set of links for starting to use your Apple Watch. Learn about gestures that control your Apple Watch and about the apps that you can use. You can also read the Apple Watch User Guidecustomize your watch face, or add or remove apps

Jan 4, 2022 7:09 AM in response to adnye05

GPS

Apple Watch (GPS only) lets you send and receive text messages, answer phone calls and receive notifications when it’s connected to your iPhone via Bluetooth and Wi-Fi. The built-in GPS works independently of your iPhone for distance, pace and route mapping in workouts.

GPS + Cellular

Apple Watch (GPS + Cellular) has all the same features, as well as built-in cellular. It gives you the freedom to send and receive text messages, answer phone calls, receive notifications, and stream Apple Music and Apple Podcasts — even when you don’t have your iPhone with you.

Do i have to setup the cellular functionality on the apple watch?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.