Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IPhone 6S storage full

i reset my iPhone because it was showing most storage was taken up by “others”. I reset my phone but others is still occupying 15.8 GB of the 16 GB. This is without me restoring my backup after the reset.

iPhone 6s, iOS 11

Posted on Jan 4, 2022 7:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 4, 2022 7:38 AM

Did it ask for your Apple ID and go back to the Hello screen?

If not then try a DFU

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201263

If it did go to Hello screen and you set it up manually from scratch and it is still all "Other" there is something wrong with your phone. You can reach out to Apple Support directly. Depending on your region, you may be able to reach them here: contact Apple Support 

or 

click on

your device probably needs service.

But do the DFU first .

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 4, 2022 7:38 AM in response to NadiaM12

Did it ask for your Apple ID and go back to the Hello screen?

If not then try a DFU

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201263

If it did go to Hello screen and you set it up manually from scratch and it is still all "Other" there is something wrong with your phone. You can reach out to Apple Support directly. Depending on your region, you may be able to reach them here: contact Apple Support 

or 

click on

your device probably needs service.

But do the DFU first .

Jan 4, 2022 7:47 AM in response to NadiaM12

NadiaM12 Said:

"IPhone 6S storage full: i reset my iPhone because it was showing most storage was taken up by “others”. I reset my phone but others is still occupying 15.8 GB of the 16 GB. This is without me restoring my backup after the reset."

-------

Troubleshooting iPhone Storage:

Internal storage cannot be upgraded. It is what it is. So, the maximum internal storage capacity never increases, even if you upgraded your iCloud plan. Learn More here: What's the Difference Between Device Storage and iCloud Storage? Apple Support

Clearing "Other":

Clear the storage named "Other". It basically contains unnecessary files such as caches that are used for system ease of use - all of which gather over time: How to Clear "Other" in your iPhone's Storage - Use Backup - User Tips. Caches would be being used for remembrance of application use. So, clearing other may be the way to go about this, as it would be performs through use of a computer.

Jan 4, 2022 9:10 AM in response to NadiaM12

NadiaM12 Said:

"most storage was taken up by 'others'."

-------

Please Define: "others":

Ending in "s" are you referring to the storage named "Other". Or do you mean other items.

If not "Other" sorage, then clear the following...

A. Clear Temporary Internet Files:

Clear your Temporary Internet Files(Cookies & Cache) of Safari:

Also...

B. Clean TV and Music Libraries:

Remove all unneeded files from your TV and Music Libraries. Full-Movies take up 2-4GB typically, and a bunch of those would take up a load of storage, ideally. So, if you have any movies that are not needed, then delete them.

Jan 5, 2022 8:01 PM in response to TheLittles

it was other storage. System was taking up 15.9gb of 16 gb storage limit.

Reset didn't work but here is what did work, sharing here in case someone else is facing similar issue.

I created a backup of my iPhone on my computer using iTunes. (since my iPhone was no longer making a backup on icloud for some reason, despite my icloud only using 1.5 gb of the 50 gb available). Then throgh iTunes I used the "restore iphone" option. It is right next to the update button. It reinstalled the software and automatically updated it to the latest version. Once that was done I restored the backup. Now my other or system storage is only taking up around 7gb of space, as it should have been.

Jan 6, 2022 12:42 AM in response to NadiaM12

Reset by "Erase all content and settings" should have worked but for some reason, as I said, it did not work and presumably did not go to the Hello screen.

Under those circumstances doing a restore via computer or doing the DFU will force the restore to work as you discovered. Thanks for sharing the result.

IPhone 6S storage full

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.