You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

📢 Newsroom Update

Apple introduces powerful new iPad mini built for Apple Intelligence. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I access files on my iPad from PC?

Hi,

I have some files on my iPad and I want to transfer them to my PC.

I connected my iPad to my PC using USB, but I only see the DCIM folder, which has photos only.

I downloaded iTunes on my PC, and that only allows me to access music files.

I want to copy files in my download folder on my iPad, but there is literally no way for me to access those files.

I can share files through my web drives, but that takes too long and I wonder if there is any 'direct' way to copy files.

I don't understand why Apple doesn't allow access to all files from all apps.

It's so inconvenient.

Is there anyone who knows the answer to this?

I'm so frustrated.

iPad Pro, iPadOS 15

Posted on Jan 4, 2022 2:05 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 10, 2022 9:26 AM

Thanks for your kind reply.

I understand that iOS does that encrypted file system for a security reason, but what throws me off is that the system thinks that I, the primary user, am a part of the source of hazard.

This really reminds me of the movie 'i-robot'.

Anyway, I've tried iCloud and it seems I can share my files.

But this is slower than I thought and it's no better than transferring files through my Google Drive or One Drive. If it's not faster, I don't see a point in having one more web drive, which slows down my PC.

Thanks anyway.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 10, 2022 9:26 AM in response to LotusPilot

Thanks for your kind reply.

I understand that iOS does that encrypted file system for a security reason, but what throws me off is that the system thinks that I, the primary user, am a part of the source of hazard.

This really reminds me of the movie 'i-robot'.

Anyway, I've tried iCloud and it seems I can share my files.

But this is slower than I thought and it's no better than transferring files through my Google Drive or One Drive. If it's not faster, I don't see a point in having one more web drive, which slows down my PC.

Thanks anyway.

Jan 5, 2022 5:11 PM in response to bumjung272

You cannot directly access files over a USB connection. As you already discovered, iOS/iPadOS devices will only expose photo storage via a standard USB connection. iPad and iPhone have an encrypted file system that is intended to protect data from unauthorised access - and requires additional software to securely access and transfer files to external computers.

There are two natively supported methods to transfer files between iPad and PC…

1) Install iCloud for Windows on your PC. This will allow you to share and transfer your photos via iCloud.

Download iCloud for Windows – Apple Support

Set up and use iCloud for Windows – Apple Support

2) Install iTunes for Windows on your PC. This provides other transfer and management options.

Download and use iTunes for Windows – Apple Support

You can install and use both on the PC. They will happily coexist - and provide considerable flexibility in how you move/share/transfer photos, files, documents and other data between iPad, iPhone and PC.

Jan 5, 2022 11:57 AM in response to bumjung272

Hello, and welcome to Apple Support Communities bumjung272,

From your post we can see that you'd like to copy files from your iPad and share them with your PC. You've used iTunes and a USB, but it's not giving you exactly what you want.

Let's see if this offers you a solution: Use the Files app on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch. You'll really want to check this over to see if it's a good solution to use the Files app to sync this information. You'll see you have options available under "Use third-party apps in Files" and "Look for files on your Mac or PC".

We hope this helps!

How can I access files on my iPad from PC?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.