Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Erased Mac using Find My

Once I erased my Mac, I found it and I have it with me. How can I have it factory reset it so that I can use it again?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 11.5

Posted on Jan 4, 2022 11:59 PM

4 replies

Jan 6, 2022 2:45 AM in response to Encryptor5000

When I turn the mac on, it will ask me to log on to wifi, as soon as I do that I get to see the Apple logo and a white line showing that it is loading something. This process takes a few minutes. Then I get the Apple logo in grey and a red message that indicates Tour computer is disabled. Try again in 60 minutes.

The background is white and at the bottom of the screen, I get Sleep Restart Shut Down options.

The device is a MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2017)

Thank you for your help

Regards

Hernan

Jan 7, 2022 7:40 AM in response to hernanpetersen

Thanks for those details!

It looks like your Mac is asking for the system lock PIN that you set when you erased it using Find My. If you don't have this PIN, unfortunately you will need Apple's assistance to unlock the Mac. Please contact Apple Support and set up a hardware appointment. (Apple does have a backdoor for this system, so no actual repairs are necessary, but they need physical access to the Mac.)

When this lock screen in particular is displayed, it isn't possible to erase the Mac and reinstall macOS without the PIN. This is because the Mac is locked into booting macOS Recovery, and once in there, it displays the lock screen. Once the Mac is unlocked, it will let you use macOS Recovery as normal to reinstall macOS.

Erased Mac using Find My

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.