Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IPad pro cellular activation issue

I bought a used iPad Pro cellular & WiFi and it’s all fine apart from not being able to use it with my Voxi (Vodafone sim). Whenever I put the sim in, it starts some sort of activation and eventually gives an error:

I have to take the sim out if I want to continue to use the iPad.

The iPad used to be on EE but I called them and they say that it’s now unlocked.

I’ve called Apple and they say that there’s nothing wrong with the iPad - it’s the sim that’s not compatible.

I’ve called the Voxi (a subsidiary of Vodafone) and they say that all their sims work on tablets and there’s no ‘special’ sim for iPads.

My wife’s Voxi sim does the same thing

Unfortunately, we don’t have a sim from another network but Apple insist that it’s the specification of the sim that may not be compatible with the iPad.

Just to be sure, I’ve reset network settings but it’s made no difference.

Weird thing is that I have no “Carrier lock” in settings but in Network Provider, I have “iPad 49.0”. I have no idea what this is!

Somebody suggested I mess with resetting Re-provision Subscriber account but I’m a bit nervous about messing with that.

Can anyone please help? The iPad is still under warranty so that’s not an issue but I was hoping that there might be something I could do.

iPad Pro 12.9-inch, 3rd Gen, Wi-Fi, Cell

Posted on Jan 5, 2022 11:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 5, 2022 5:26 PM

The majority of Phone SIMs are not compatible/correctly provisioned for most tablet computers - and most will offer no service at all with an iPad. Phone SIMs are intended to be used with a mobile phone that can access Cellular Voice and Messaging (SMS/MMS) and Cellular services.

iPad cannot access Cellular Voice & Messaging - unless relayed via an iPhone (with its own Cellular plan) using Apple Continuity services.

Many Cellular operators will provide a DataSIM that is explicitly provisioned to provide supported Cellular services for iPad. These DataSIMs are often provisioned with different APN settings. Your described issue would certainly suggest that your Carrier SIM is not correctly provisioned for iPad - perhaps due to an incorrect APN configuration that is inhibiting internet access over cellular data.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 5, 2022 5:26 PM in response to SpongeBlob

The majority of Phone SIMs are not compatible/correctly provisioned for most tablet computers - and most will offer no service at all with an iPad. Phone SIMs are intended to be used with a mobile phone that can access Cellular Voice and Messaging (SMS/MMS) and Cellular services.

iPad cannot access Cellular Voice & Messaging - unless relayed via an iPhone (with its own Cellular plan) using Apple Continuity services.

Many Cellular operators will provide a DataSIM that is explicitly provisioned to provide supported Cellular services for iPad. These DataSIMs are often provisioned with different APN settings. Your described issue would certainly suggest that your Carrier SIM is not correctly provisioned for iPad - perhaps due to an incorrect APN configuration that is inhibiting internet access over cellular data.

IPad pro cellular activation issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.