Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can Time Machine use HFS+ backup disk under Big Sur or Monterey?

Today I thought I had shown Time Machine backs up successfully to an existing HFS+ backup drive under Big Sur v. 11.6.2. I ignored the error messages I had been getting saying backing up failed and verified I could roll back to recent snapshots.

However I now realise that, although the timeline on the right of the screen after entering Time Machine seems to show I can roll back a couple of years, when I try I see no snapshots beyond when I first tried to back up under Big Sur (until recently I had been using Mojave). Does that mean I have really destroyed the old backups and there is no point in not reformatting my backup disks to APFS?

MacBook Pro 15″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Jan 5, 2022 10:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 6, 2022 5:13 AM

TM may not let you go back in time after updating to Monterey however if you use shift-command-C it will show your Macintosh drive and you can then go back in time opening up that drive and finding your older files. I now always start a new drive with any major OS upgrade. With a new drive Monterey will make the TM format APFS no matter what you may have formatted it earlier.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 6, 2022 5:13 AM in response to Bob Dewar

TM may not let you go back in time after updating to Monterey however if you use shift-command-C it will show your Macintosh drive and you can then go back in time opening up that drive and finding your older files. I now always start a new drive with any major OS upgrade. With a new drive Monterey will make the TM format APFS no matter what you may have formatted it earlier.

Jan 25, 2022 10:35 AM in response to tbirdvet

Similar thread. Do I have this correct?

• my external Seagate backup drive is formatted as MacOS Extended (Journaled)
  • Seagate contains TM backups 10.13.6 High Sierra from my old MB Air
  • these backups will be unreadable to MBAir 12.1 Monterrey
  • transferring them to a new external drive formatted as APFS won't help

I just don't want to keep trying to read / retrieve them.

Jan 6, 2022 1:15 AM in response to Bob Dewar

Time Machine can use HFS+ - now more commonly called Mac OS Extended - but it was replaced about 2017 by APFS and it that format which is preferred. In answer to your question I have a Time Machine backups external drive in Mac OS Extended which is overdue for reformatting, but I have no problems with it for the moment.

Rather, it may be possible that the problems with your drive have less to do with the file format and more to do with corrupted data. If you are having problems with it and Time Machine is giving you error messages you probably don't have much choice but to reformat the drive and start your backups again, and to reformat it using APFS. Or failing that get a new drive and hang on to the old one for a bit until you are happy to reformat it.

Can Time Machine use HFS+ backup disk under Big Sur or Monterey?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.