Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to delete double email address's

I changed an email address in my contacts but the old email address and the new email address comes up when using mail. How do you deleted the old email address so it never comes up again on the iPad mail.

Iphone 3g, Mac Mini, MacBook Pro 13", ipad 16, ipad 64

Posted on Aug 7, 2010 1:00 AM

19 replies

Aug 7, 2010 2:40 AM in response to KiwiAdventure

Would it be simpler to remove the contact as described above and then add as a new contact with the up to date email information ? There is probably a more elegant way but the above would work.
Ps I have just been to my contacts on the iPad selected a contact, at the bottom of the page is an edit button, click that and delete, amend or add further information for that particular contact, click done to finish.

Message was edited by: Arthur Jacks

Message was edited by: Arthur Jacks

Aug 7, 2010 3:54 AM in response to KiwiAdventure

I have just been to my contacts and deleted a no longer used contact as an experiment, I clicked edit then scrolled right to the bottom of the page, clicked delete contact and back to the top clicked done.
I opened a new mail page and searched for the deleted contact and it was gone completely.
It would be worth checking if you have a duplicate entry for your contact in a different group, I have several duplicates in my ' all contact ' selection due to various syncing efforts with iTunes. You maybe deleting the entry in one group but the mail program may be using the contacts from another group.
If all else fails you could amend the entry on your computer and the resync.

Aug 9, 2010 10:04 PM in response to KiwiAdventure

I'm having the same issue too. Would love to know how to remove those extra/unwanted email addresses from the cache too.

This issue has nothing to do with the Contact app. If you received an email from someone who is not on your Contact list and when you replied to that person, next time his email address will automatically saved in your iPad memory and I'm trying to get rid of it but can't seems to find a way to do it. For your info, this address does not appear anywhere in my Contact list.

Let me give an example. If I received an email from test123@xyz.com and I if replied, this email address will be in my iPad memory even though I switches off or soft reset my iPad.

Now If I have a friend email Thomas@gmail.com in my Contact, and if i go into my email app and pressed "T", test123@xyz.com and Thomas@gmail.com will both appeared under the drop down list. The question is, how can I get test123@xyz.com off my iPad for good?

I believe KiwiAdventure is having this same issue as me too. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Aug 10, 2010 5:17 AM in response to KiwiAdventure

In the last two weeks I have contacted many companies about obtaining tyres, I emailed, they replied and I replied to their response if you understand what I mean ! not new mails each time, following this thread I thought I would see what happened if in the iPad mail app I typed in the first letter of the relevant companies, none of them came up only my regular contacts starting with that letter.
I tried two old contact names, I just tried the first letter of their names and up popped their name, I went to my contacts app on the iPad and deleted the two contacts, I then reopened the mail app, again typed in the first letter but this time they were not there.
I do not understand but just thought it may be of interest.

How to delete double email address's

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.