Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cleaning and dusting 2014 iMac 27 inch

Had a problem with overheating on a mid-2011 iMac 27 inch and the optical bay fan went bad, and now I’m about to replace. Seems that this particular series of the thicker iMac’s need to be dusted and cleaned, which is fairly straightforward on 2012 and older; but, with the thinner design glued on panel becomes a more significant issue.

Also have A late – 2014 iMac 27 inch, and used canned air and strong vacuum on the only intake on the back center as well as the ports along the bottom.. Some dust was removed but not much. I noticed that the 2014 has had episodes of fairly high temperatures looking at the 7/30 day i-STAT menus History. The 7 day history from iStat Menus shows episodes of 190+°F, or high 80°C plus temperatures from CPU cores and other sensors. I don’t play games and see no reason for this iMac not being used and only in screen saver mode to be having such high Temperatures.

My only access is a simply Mac store, but the tech there is quite good. I did notice some decrease in temperatures after this cleaning, although I did not see a significant amount of dust being removed doing this for about 20 minutes.

What are the recommendations here removing dust for a late-2014 iMac 27 inch? Is this a significant problem as it is for the older 2011 iMac 27 inch?

Best, Seth

P.S. ST3000DM001-1ER166 -> this item is listed underneath the 256 GB SSD in iStat Menus, but I don’t know what it is except some searching brought up internal Seagate hard drives. I do not have an internal hard drive, just the SSD, although I do have 2 TB and 8 TB Seagate external hard drives for Time Machine. I’ll include an attachment of what I’m seeing on ice that menus.

Posted on Jan 6, 2022 6:16 AM

Similar questions

There are no replies.

Cleaning and dusting 2014 iMac 27 inch

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.