Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't partition half my drive

Hello. I am trying to install Windows on a partition. My HDD was already partitioned into two aprox equal sized partitions.

The pictures are from my Mac and in Danish. I recon you can recognise the functions as they are placed in the same place in all languages. :-)

I can select to enlarge the Mac partition, but it fails to be partitioned.

It states my drive is damaged, but I can't successfully repair it even though the firsthelp or disrepair function states it was successful.

After trying to get Boot Camp Assistant to install to the free space, the space suddenly locked up, and now I can't do anything to it. I tried to use Disk Utility firsthelp but no change.

How do I unlock such space?

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 12.1

Posted on Jan 6, 2022 8:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 6, 2022 9:26 AM

lpmathiasen wrote:

The space was corrupted after a Boot Camp installation gone wrong.

If you are trying to recover space after BootCamp— you can erase/reformat/initialize the parent drive as new—then restore your user data from a backup.

Erase and reinstall macOS - Apple Support - https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/erase-and-reinstall-macos-mh27903/mac

Verify from the Internet/Recovery>DiskUtility>View>Show all Devices your 'Parent Drive' is the top most; Not the Volume level, not the Container level

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 6, 2022 9:26 AM in response to lpmathiasen

lpmathiasen wrote:

The space was corrupted after a Boot Camp installation gone wrong.

If you are trying to recover space after BootCamp— you can erase/reformat/initialize the parent drive as new—then restore your user data from a backup.

Erase and reinstall macOS - Apple Support - https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/erase-and-reinstall-macos-mh27903/mac

Verify from the Internet/Recovery>DiskUtility>View>Show all Devices your 'Parent Drive' is the top most; Not the Volume level, not the Container level

Jan 6, 2022 8:42 AM in response to lpmathiasen

lpmathiasen wrote:

Hello. I am trying to install Windows on a partition. My HDD was already partitioned into two aprox equal sized partitions.

You can add Volumes without penalty to the Container without partitioning

Add, delete, or erase APFS volumes in Disk Utility on Mac

For Bootcamp on supported machines—

Install Windows 10 on your Mac with Boot Camp Assistant

Remove Windows from your Mac using Boot Camp - Apple ...

Can't partition half my drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.