Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

time machine would not work on new external drive

I tried to install a easy store external drive and connect time machine to it. When I opened the drive to use disk in the time machine preferences it asked to use disk. When I clicked on it it asked me if I wanted to erase disk. I clicked on it and received a message that it could not unmount disk. Help

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Jan 6, 2022 8:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 6, 2022 1:52 PM

The New Drive, was there Software Bundled with and on the Drive that was Installed on the computer? Often time the Manufacture does this and their software is usually buggy and interferes with macOS.

If the above is correct and accurate - suggest contacting the maker of the drive for Specific Instructions to Remove the software.

Then, follow the advise from previous posting to reformat the drive.

MacOS is very able to manage external drives without outside interferences

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 6, 2022 1:52 PM in response to Nelle23

The New Drive, was there Software Bundled with and on the Drive that was Installed on the computer? Often time the Manufacture does this and their software is usually buggy and interferes with macOS.

If the above is correct and accurate - suggest contacting the maker of the drive for Specific Instructions to Remove the software.

Then, follow the advise from previous posting to reformat the drive.

MacOS is very able to manage external drives without outside interferences

time machine would not work on new external drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.