Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine couldn’t complete the backup to “TimeMachine”. An error occurred

I am getting Time Machine backup errors.

Spoke to Apple support, reinstalled Monterey, reformatted my external disk (Mac OS Extended Journal and APFS), reselected backup device for Time Machine Backup.

It will create a couple of backups, and when I click the backup I can see all my folders in the backups

When the backup using Time Machine failes, and I then click on an existing backup, I cant see the folders.

I suspect a bug in Monterey.

5TB External Western Digital Drive using USB-c

USB-c

The only way I can get it working is to eject the backup drive, unplug it, plug it back in then it will create a backup

Can anyone shed some light on why this is happening where it looses connctivity with the external backup drive

Eddie

[Image Edited by Moderator to Remove Serial Number]

Posted on Jan 6, 2022 12:53 PM

Similar questions

23 replies

Mar 23, 2022 10:59 AM in response to JustForComment

The issues with the three different "Sleep" functions (display "Sleep", Apple menu "Sleep", and logon screen "Sleep") in Monterey 12.3 on our week-old M1 2021 iMac (with an Iomega 1 TB Firewire 800 drive for our Time Machine drive and an external LG Ultrafine second monitor) have turned out to be so convoluted that I've logged it as a separate post: Problems with "Sleep" function in Montere… - Apple Community

Feb 18, 2022 1:26 AM in response to propolis

Thank you for this solution. It has worked for me.

I had a very similar scenario:

• Latest version of Monterey on an M1 iMac with WD Passport external disk for Time Machine backups.
  • Time Machine errors in attempting to backup for the first time (multiple times)
  • Time Machine errors when attempting further backups when I finally got an initial backup to work!

Not only is Time Machine working properly, backups are now lightning quick!

Jan 6, 2022 3:02 PM in response to tbirdvet

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

I have formatted the disk about 6 times via disk utility.

Currently its formated as APFS - all the images above in the thread is from the external disk formatted as APFS

The problem is that it will back up, but then the OS looses connectivity with the external disk

The only way I can get it working is to eject the backup drive, unplug it, plug it back in then it will create a backup

Eddie

Jan 18, 2022 12:01 AM in response to propolis

Same issue. Time Machine not working properly after Monterey install. Apple engineer says the TM needs to delete lots of old backups to free up space for massive # of file changes due to new OS - while simultaneously trying to install new files. Literally 2 million changes needed to be made. It’s been 2 days. Still trying to finish initial backup. True hot mess. Apple needs to FIX this glitch.

Feb 25, 2022 9:57 AM in response to propolis

Using MacBook Air M1 2TB. I'm using a 2TB Seagate disk which was backing up fine until 12.2.1. Now backups do not complete, are glacially slow and Finder shows space used on the backup drive without any visible files. For example, if I backup 1TB of data from the computer, Finder shows 1TB remaining on the backup disk but no backup files are visible. Checked the drive using Disk Utility First Aid (no errors). Reformatted the disk APFS (case sensitive). Same result.

Mar 21, 2022 12:51 PM in response to tbirdvet

I've been having this exact same problem on my 4-day-old M1 2021 iMac on Monterey 12.3. I first noticed it when the TM backup would fail when I had the display set to go to sleep after 10 minutes. I thought I had fixed it by checking "Prevent your Mac from automatically sleeping when the display is off" and UNchecking "Put hard disks to sleep when possible", "Wait for network access", and "Start up automatically after a power failure" under Energy Saver, and then using the "Sleep" option on the Appple menu.

That worked fine yesterday, but today the TM backups started failing again in "Sleep" mode from the Apple menu, each time on a selected file. (In my case, the only symptom is the "Time machine couldn't complete the backup" message and the TM backup will proceed once the iMac comes out of sleep mode.) I have a FireWire 800 hard drive formatted as APFS, connected with a Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter and a Thunderbolt to FireWire Adapter. I guess I'll have to resort to just a screen saver as well.

I talked to Apple Support two days ago and they suggested re-installing Monterey on my 2-day-old iMac. They also asked for a video of the problem occurring.

Mar 22, 2022 9:54 AM in response to tbirdvet

Tbirdvet

Are things are simply flakey with Sleep on Monterey 12.3 running on an M1 2021 iMac?

I thought at first that my Time Machine failures were limited to when the displays were put asleep by the Energy Saver "Turn display off" option and were working when "Sleep" was invoked from the Apple menu. But then they started to fail on Sunday (always with being unable to backup a particular file, usually the "com.apple.LaunchSewrevices-3027-v2.csstore" file). I found a post saying (improbably) that Time Machine failures could be caused by having the Mission Control "Displays have separate Spaces" option unselected. (I have an LG UltraFine external monitor connected to the iMac.) Since I had disabled "Displays have separate Spaces" on Sunday before Time Machine backups started to fail after invoking "Sleep" from the Apple menu, I reenabled it on Monday. Now Time Machine backups often--but not always--fail when "Sleep" is invoked from the Apple menu.

Also, on Saturday and Sunday nights, after invoking "Sleep" from the logon screen, my iMac "was restarted because of a problem" while asleep during the night, and the Problem Report started with "Attempting to forcibly halt cpu 0". (In my 15 years with iMacs, I don't recall having an iMac restart by itself.) I found a couple of posts saying Mac restarts while asleep could be caused by having the Energy Saver "Wait for network access" option unselected. Since I had unselected this option on Saturday (thinking that might be related to the Time Machine failures), I tried reenabling the "Wake for network access" option on Monday evening, and the restart error did NOT occur Monday night.

Time Machine couldn’t complete the backup to “TimeMachine”. An error occurred

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.