Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

If I have backed up via Time Machine, can I then delete folders on my mac to free up space as they will be kept on an external hard drive?

If I have backed up via Time Machine onto an external hard drive, can I then delete folders/files on my mac to free up space as they will be kept on an external hard drive?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.12

Posted on Jan 7, 2022 5:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 7, 2022 5:22 AM

...only if you want to lose them eventually. Time Machine will backup your Mac, hourly, daily, and monthly but when the drive is full it will delete the oldest backups to make way for new backups.

Time Machine backups are not archives, they are copies to restore to your Mac in the event of data loss - or to migrate to another Mac. If you want to store your files get another external drive, or keep it on your Mac.

Read Apple's description of Time Machine here.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 7, 2022 5:22 AM in response to LDLouLou

...only if you want to lose them eventually. Time Machine will backup your Mac, hourly, daily, and monthly but when the drive is full it will delete the oldest backups to make way for new backups.

Time Machine backups are not archives, they are copies to restore to your Mac in the event of data loss - or to migrate to another Mac. If you want to store your files get another external drive, or keep it on your Mac.

Read Apple's description of Time Machine here.

If I have backed up via Time Machine, can I then delete folders on my mac to free up space as they will be kept on an external hard drive?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.