📢 Newsroom Update

Apple Intelligence comes to iPhone, iPad, and Mac starting next month. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad and Apple TV external hard drive

Hi !

On a Mac computer you can use a external hard drive to store all the movies that you bought on a external hard drive. But I can't figure out how to do that on the iPad.

is it possible or is there a easy work around ? since I travel a lot and don't have internet. but like to watch all the movies. I bought in Apple TV ??

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jan 7, 2022 5:05 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 7, 2022 6:16 AM

Media content that you purchase from Apple, through the AppleTV App on your iPad, can be downloaded and stored locally on the iPad itself for “offline” viewing. However, the AppleTV App does not allow you to store media content on an external drive.

This limitation is most likely due to DRM (Digital Rights Management) controls - that are intended to preserve/enforce copyright restrictions.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 7, 2022 6:16 AM in response to Mutterman11

Media content that you purchase from Apple, through the AppleTV App on your iPad, can be downloaded and stored locally on the iPad itself for “offline” viewing. However, the AppleTV App does not allow you to store media content on an external drive.

This limitation is most likely due to DRM (Digital Rights Management) controls - that are intended to preserve/enforce copyright restrictions.

iPad and Apple TV external hard drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.