Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Upgrading iPhone SE 1st Generation to SE Second Generation

Hi, I am using iPhone SE First Generation since last 4 years, but now its performance is dwindling. I am planning to upgrade to iPhone SE 2nd Generation.

Would the upgrade would be considered like new purchase or would I require to submit my old phone and pay some money?

Posted on Jan 7, 2022 6:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 7, 2022 12:17 PM

You choose. Trade-ins drop in value rapidly for any defect (scratch, camera is off, etc). Drop by an Apple Store for a one-on-one and get a feeler for tradein. If close to$0, just trade-in for "recycling" and pay full.

Be sure you know the terms. If you buy a new fully unlocked any carrier can activate. If you plan to stay with your carrier tell them old and new phone so they can be sure the SIM does not get confused by the new hardware and you need a new SIM.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 7, 2022 12:17 PM in response to arvind_

You choose. Trade-ins drop in value rapidly for any defect (scratch, camera is off, etc). Drop by an Apple Store for a one-on-one and get a feeler for tradein. If close to$0, just trade-in for "recycling" and pay full.

Be sure you know the terms. If you buy a new fully unlocked any carrier can activate. If you plan to stay with your carrier tell them old and new phone so they can be sure the SIM does not get confused by the new hardware and you need a new SIM.

Jan 7, 2022 12:49 PM in response to arvind_

Is there any trade-in value from Apple for a 1st gen SE? It's not listed as having any trade-in value from Apple in the United States.

https://www.apple.com/shop/trade-in

I don't think it would necessarily be an "upgrade" per se, but just a new purchase for the same price as if you didn't have a device. Do you have some sort of cellular service with an upgrade plan?

Upgrading iPhone SE 1st Generation to SE Second Generation

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.