Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

unable to restore from Time Machine

I have a Time Machine, which backed up my High Sierra (10.13). I upgraded to Mojave (10.14), and tried to restore from Time Machine, but partway during the transfer, the restore halts, the client goes dark, and I have to Hard Power reset the Apple, which brings me back to Time Machine to restart the process.

I have also tried to restore using 10.13, and it exhibits the same result. I'm close to trying to install Catalina, just to see if it will work, though ultimately I don't want to go to Catalina and lose the 32-bit support.

• I'm doing a Verify Time Machine right now. It completed, without reporting an issue.
  • I'm hardwired.
  • The NAS doing the Time Machine backup seems to be fine, it's being supported by Bonjour Time Machine via AFP.

I'm hoping that there might be suggestions to help me complete a restoration. Thank you in advance.

Keith

MacBook Pro Retina

Posted on Jan 7, 2022 7:37 AM

Similar questions

14 replies

Jan 10, 2022 3:52 PM in response to BDAqua

In my most recent attempt, I've tried off the time machine on the NAS, by booting with command-R, and doing a time machine restore to the 10.13 that was last backed up. it failed very quickly, it failed in about a minute.

So to recap, I've tried:

1. installing 10.14, restore from NAS.
  2. reinstall 10.13, restore from NAS.
  3. reinstall 10.14, restore from NAS.
  4. restore data from a 10.11 USB backup onto a 10.14 clean install.
  5. restore with command-r to 10.13 from NAS, with the erase hard drive option.

There may be variations in that, but those would be the milestones.

Keith

Jan 10, 2022 4:48 PM in response to danforth08

I've now found myself without an OS on the drive. In my latest attempt, I tried to wipe the disk, i got 7.51GB from the NAS Time Machine, when the system "crashed". By crashed, the screen goes black, the keyboard no longer indicates that it's accepting input (using the caps lock as my only visual cue), and I'm forced to start all over.

If I try to Start from scratch with shift-control-command-R, to start over, it doesn't recognize the APFS, and I find myself being unable to reinstall the original OS.

My USB flash drive, which is separate from the USB Mountain LIon that I have an original secondary backup, has been made into a bootable Mojave. Only when I boot from it, it won't let me install Mojave.

I'm getting further and further away from the goal of installing Mojave, and restoring data from Time Machine. This is becoming a bitter pill!

Jan 12, 2022 8:01 PM in response to BDAqua

After finding a youtube video where the trick to circumventing the error "this copy of the install macos high sierra application is damaged and can't be used..." by booting from the High Sierra bootable USB installer, going into terminal and applying the command "date111213142016", I've been able to reinstall 10.13 to a fresh installation.

I'm now going to take another shot with the Migration Assistant.

unable to restore from Time Machine

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.