Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AirPrint

I have a Macbook Air M1. I understand there is a Apple program called AirPrint that will print documents. I looked for this app on my Macbook but can't find it. I looked on the App Store and couldn't find it either. How do I get this app? Does it print all types of document, not just PDFs? I also understand that I can print from my Macbook even if the printer manufacturer doesn't support my version of MacOS (12.2).Not very technically oriented. I'm looking for a black and white laser printer. Canon has some inexpensive ones. Thanks very much for any advice.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.1

Posted on Jan 7, 2022 11:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 7, 2022 5:22 PM

Hello,

Printer models supporting the AirPrint technology are listed in About AirPrint - Apple Support.

There may be a few other models with AirPrint support, but you should check this with the printer manufacturer. Most models are covered by the above list.

Please note that not all printers with wireless capabilities are AirPrint-enabled, so check the list (and the exact model, including a suffix) before you buy.

An AirPrint model can be used without the need for additional drivers/software, provided that the printer and the computer are connected to the same network (router). This connection does not have to be wireless (unless it is an iOS/iPadOS device). A computer or a printer can be connected to the LAN ports of a (Wi-Fi) router, if necessary.

For background information about Bonjour and AirPrint, an article from Xerox could perhaps be of interest to you.

https://www.office.xerox.com/latest/XOGWP-18U.PDF

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 7, 2022 5:22 PM in response to skua123

Hello,

Printer models supporting the AirPrint technology are listed in About AirPrint - Apple Support.

There may be a few other models with AirPrint support, but you should check this with the printer manufacturer. Most models are covered by the above list.

Please note that not all printers with wireless capabilities are AirPrint-enabled, so check the list (and the exact model, including a suffix) before you buy.

An AirPrint model can be used without the need for additional drivers/software, provided that the printer and the computer are connected to the same network (router). This connection does not have to be wireless (unless it is an iOS/iPadOS device). A computer or a printer can be connected to the LAN ports of a (Wi-Fi) router, if necessary.

For background information about Bonjour and AirPrint, an article from Xerox could perhaps be of interest to you.

https://www.office.xerox.com/latest/XOGWP-18U.PDF

AirPrint

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.