Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Reset Apple TV 1st gen without remote

How do I reset a first generation Apple TV if I don’t have a remote?

Apple TV

Posted on Jan 7, 2022 1:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 9, 2022 5:44 PM

it is NOT 2nd gen or I would have said 2nd gen.

Okay. It’s just that 1st generation (2007) doesn’t have any practical use in 2021, as it can’t connect to the iTunes Store anymore, and can’t interface with iTunes 12.6.3 or later. It is unsupported and obsolete. It could never do AirPlay. It doesn’t bring access to any third party services. All it can do is play non-DRM content that is already on it. Which would be lost if reset – But maybe that is your goal?

Thanks for the non-answer.

There is no solution without remote, so I think my suggestion to buy a replacement is still the best possible response.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 9, 2022 5:44 PM in response to ninjasue

it is NOT 2nd gen or I would have said 2nd gen.

Okay. It’s just that 1st generation (2007) doesn’t have any practical use in 2021, as it can’t connect to the iTunes Store anymore, and can’t interface with iTunes 12.6.3 or later. It is unsupported and obsolete. It could never do AirPlay. It doesn’t bring access to any third party services. All it can do is play non-DRM content that is already on it. Which would be lost if reset – But maybe that is your goal?

Thanks for the non-answer.

There is no solution without remote, so I think my suggestion to buy a replacement is still the best possible response.

Jan 11, 2022 8:58 AM in response to Urquhart1244

THAT is more of an answer, thank you! I wanted to find out just how much time, money and effort was going to be required to get it even functional... It was a case of "Hey when we closed the satellite office this was written off because it's missing stuff, but thought you'd like it anyway" and unceremoniously dropped on my desk.

If the model is that far obsolete, I did not realize it was no longer supported without down-reving, thank you for that, then a $20 remote just to hack around to see what's left on it is silly. Yes, I would agree a new model would be the better option.

(Although I have a 2009-era Windows Vista computer with a 9.x version of iTunes lurking somewhere in the basement. Or perhaps I'll just splurge for the remote anyway and just put it all down there for a project during the apocalypse.)

Reset Apple TV 1st gen without remote

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.