Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have iPhone 5 with no data here in Canada. What do I need to do to be able to use this phone in the US?

I have iPhone 5 in Canada with no data. What do I need to be able to use this phone in the US?

iPhone 5s, iOS 12

Posted on Jan 7, 2022 4:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 7, 2022 6:24 PM

iPhone 5 is a 4G device. Any 4G phone should work in the US - or elsewhere - on any carrier. You may have to contact your Canadian carrier for a roaming plan for the SIM for operation in the US, if only to mitigate the cost of using it out of your carrier's territory. In any case your carrier is the place you should go for advice on your own situation.

Three years ago one of my family took her iPhone 8 overseas from Australia to a couple of countries. She paid a small fee to her carrier for a roaming plan overseas and it worked happily everywhere while she was away including in the US.

Alternatively, as KiltedTim mentioned, you can buy a US SIM for use there.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 7, 2022 6:24 PM in response to audra41

iPhone 5 is a 4G device. Any 4G phone should work in the US - or elsewhere - on any carrier. You may have to contact your Canadian carrier for a roaming plan for the SIM for operation in the US, if only to mitigate the cost of using it out of your carrier's territory. In any case your carrier is the place you should go for advice on your own situation.

Three years ago one of my family took her iPhone 8 overseas from Australia to a couple of countries. She paid a small fee to her carrier for a roaming plan overseas and it worked happily everywhere while she was away including in the US.

Alternatively, as KiltedTim mentioned, you can buy a US SIM for use there.

I have iPhone 5 with no data here in Canada. What do I need to do to be able to use this phone in the US?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.