Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connectivity problem Macbook Pro 2017 and Wacom Cintiq Pro 13

Hello, I have a problem connecting my computer to my cintiq tablet.

I have a MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2017, Two Thunderbolt 3 ports) with the latest Monterey version installed (12.1). I usually connect my Wacom Cintiq Pro 13 to it using the Wacom link plus, the display connects through a HDMI to USB-C cable and the tablet through the cable that comes with the Wacom, I just use an adapter USB-A to USB-C to connect that cable to my MacBook Pro. Everything was working fine a few moths ago, back then I had one of the earlier versions of Big Sur installed. I used to use one port to connect the display and another port to connect the tablet.

I stopped using the Cintiq for a while and came back to it just now. It turns out a new Big Sur version was automatically installed in my computer and since then, only one of the two thunderbolt 3 ports works for the display connection and the tablet connection of the Cintiq, which means that I can either use it as a tablet or as an external display device, not both. I tried installing the newest driver of the Cintiq and nothing changed, I also tried installing Monterey as well, and still only one port works. The second thunderbolt 3 port works fine when it comes to charging my MacBook, it just doesn’t work with the Cintiq, when it used to work just fine a few months ago.

I don’t what to do, it is not a security problem of my MacBook or the Cintiq because the computer reads the tablet when I use the first port, I think the problem is the connectivity, specifically related to the ports. Also, if I use my adapter on the port that works to connect all of the cables of the Cintiq, it just doesn’t work at all, I have to use the port directly otherwise it won’t work. The only solution that I still have to try is to buy an adapter either HDMI or miniDP and see if it works with the second port of the computer, but I’d like to check if this is even possible, I wouldn’t like to waste my money in an adaptor I’ll never use!

I checked the info of my computer in particular and I understand it should be able to connect two extra display devices to it, so I really don’t understand the problem. Sorry it’s so long, I hope someone can help me!

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.1

Posted on Jan 7, 2022 11:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 7, 2022 11:58 PM

Hello! It’s me again, after trying a bit more I was able to solve it!!! I didn’t need any adapter, it seems it was the way I was trying to solve it that was wrong. I removed the wacom link plus and connected the computer directly with a usb-c to usb-c cable to my tablet. I’m so glad I didn’t buy any adapter. It still calls my attention that only one port works for both video and data though. I still think I should be able to use the second port for the data.

Well I hope this helps someone in the future! Just never stop trying :)

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 7, 2022 11:58 PM in response to noe_

Hello! It’s me again, after trying a bit more I was able to solve it!!! I didn’t need any adapter, it seems it was the way I was trying to solve it that was wrong. I removed the wacom link plus and connected the computer directly with a usb-c to usb-c cable to my tablet. I’m so glad I didn’t buy any adapter. It still calls my attention that only one port works for both video and data though. I still think I should be able to use the second port for the data.

Well I hope this helps someone in the future! Just never stop trying :)

Connectivity problem Macbook Pro 2017 and Wacom Cintiq Pro 13

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.