Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

busy timeout[0], (60s): 'AppleAPFSMediaBSDClient'

Nearly twice a day my M1 MacbooAir crashes with this message!

is there any solution for this?

panic(cpu 3 caller 0xfffffe002bb66db8): "busy timeout[0], (60s): 'AppleAPFSMediaBSDClient'"

MacBook Air (2020 or later)

Posted on Jan 8, 2022 2:55 AM

69 replies

Jan 9, 2022 8:20 AM in response to rainer114

Hey rainer114,

It appears that your MacBook Air is experiencing kernel panics. Check out the articles below and the steps inside to see if those possibly help:

Let us know if the steps in those articles help or if you've already tried that.

Best wishes to you.

Jan 16, 2022 8:58 PM in response to claire504

Hi, I can confirm this is a specific bug with the macOS 11.6.2 update because the exact same kernel panic happens on my M1 MacBook Air. The steps I take to reproduce it are to plug in an external drive formatted with APFS, then disconnect it. When the computer wakes up from sleep afterward, it kernel panics 60 seconds later. This did not happen until updating to 11.6.2. Every version prior was perfectly fine, so it is an introduced bug.

rainer114, does this sound like your situation?

Jan 13, 2022 12:16 AM in response to claire504

I did:

• Mac restarted
  • All Software is up to date
  • OSX is latest Patch of Current Release
  • Start in Safe Mode
  • Reinstall OSX
  • Check Hardware / RAM
  • Check peripheral devices for update
  • disconnect all peripheral devices and do all of above again

This take me a lot of time, with actually NO effect...

hopefuly next steps are a bit more issue orientated than this "solutions"

Jan 24, 2022 2:53 PM in response to rainer114

I noticed that a kernel panic only happens when the unmounted external HDD continues to spin.

That is every time I use "Eject" from the drive's menu or when I unmount the volume in the Disk Utility, but NOT when I use "unmount" on the External Physical Disk.

So, to work around the bug, open the Disk Utility. First, choose "Show All Devices" in the menu next to the sidebar.

Then, use the highest level (physical device) unmount icon instead of one for a volume that it contains.

You'll know you're OK if the drive stops spinning.

If you forget about this method and use your regular "Eject" menu item, don't unplug the drive. Mount the volume again using the Disk Utility and unmount it using the above method.

Use it every time, for any drive that causes problems, until there is a better solution.

Jan 10, 2022 6:12 AM in response to rainer114

rainer114,

Thanks for letting us know. The numerous steps in the previous articles can help isolate if the issue is software or hardware. Can you tell us all the steps you've taken? That way we aren't providing any that have already been done.

Have you noticed that you are doing a certain task when the kernel panic happens? For example, using an app, opening an app, so on. Knowing his can also help isolate what might be going on.

Take care.

Jan 22, 2022 9:53 PM in response to AZCoder1959

I did more testing, and it specifically happens to me when making a Time Machine backup. Other APFS-formatted drives don't trigger the crash. This makes it even worse because Time Machine is so important in case scenarios where something else goes wrong and there's a need to restore data. It does NOT happen in Monterey (I set up a separate APFS partition for a clean install), though I am not upgrading my machine to Monterey fully until later updates.

I sent a report through Apple's Product Feedback page. Hoping that helps push incentive for a fix.

busy timeout[0], (60s): 'AppleAPFSMediaBSDClient'

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.