Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can I update my imac from version 10.13.6? Late 2011 model

Posted on Jan 8, 2022 5:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 8, 2022 8:36 AM

i have a mid-2011 iMac (21.5" version) and High Sierra is as good as it gets with MacOS. No further support from Apple, no updates to Safari and neither Microsoft nor Adobe support their suites on it. I've had MS Edge as a second browser for a while (for sites where Safari's age means it no longer works) but lack of support means no security updates.

I've been considering replacing the iMac but the hardware still runs as well as when new (granted it has an i7 CPU, a 256GB SSD, a 2TB HDD and 16GB RAM). I recently went to my nearest Apple store (a 60 mile round trip) to try out, and probably buy, a 16" MacBookPro as a replacement - but was turned away as I hadn't pre-booked an appointment. So I'm re-evaluated my current setup and need. I've long run Parallels for occasional use of Windows and Linux VMs. I have the latest version of Parallels so downloaded the Windows11 ISO - it installed fine (with Parallels automatically taking care of the latest Win11 hardware requirements). Dug out an old Win7 installation DVD and used the key to activate Win11; then installed the Office356 apps. Switched Win11 into coherence mode and finding that it runs great from the SSD.

Starting Word from MacOS takes ~8 sec to open - starting from the Win11 start menu takes less than 5 sec. Even Outlook fires up almost instantly from WIn11 - a lot quicker than the MacOS version (needed for a college email account that is no longer accessible through Mail). Having the Win11 VM running takes memory use up to around a 12GB baseline but it's there to be used and, other than the Mac specific apps that link to my iPhone and iPad, running Win11 means I continue to have updated versions of the apps I use most, and less worry about security from lack of support.

This won't help many folk but, with the right hardware, it could be an option worth considering. I'm going to try it for a while, anyway - it defers the pain of splashing out over £2k for a new machine, plus the further pain of configuring it from scratch :)

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 8, 2022 8:36 AM in response to RMcN0

i have a mid-2011 iMac (21.5" version) and High Sierra is as good as it gets with MacOS. No further support from Apple, no updates to Safari and neither Microsoft nor Adobe support their suites on it. I've had MS Edge as a second browser for a while (for sites where Safari's age means it no longer works) but lack of support means no security updates.

I've been considering replacing the iMac but the hardware still runs as well as when new (granted it has an i7 CPU, a 256GB SSD, a 2TB HDD and 16GB RAM). I recently went to my nearest Apple store (a 60 mile round trip) to try out, and probably buy, a 16" MacBookPro as a replacement - but was turned away as I hadn't pre-booked an appointment. So I'm re-evaluated my current setup and need. I've long run Parallels for occasional use of Windows and Linux VMs. I have the latest version of Parallels so downloaded the Windows11 ISO - it installed fine (with Parallels automatically taking care of the latest Win11 hardware requirements). Dug out an old Win7 installation DVD and used the key to activate Win11; then installed the Office356 apps. Switched Win11 into coherence mode and finding that it runs great from the SSD.

Starting Word from MacOS takes ~8 sec to open - starting from the Win11 start menu takes less than 5 sec. Even Outlook fires up almost instantly from WIn11 - a lot quicker than the MacOS version (needed for a college email account that is no longer accessible through Mail). Having the Win11 VM running takes memory use up to around a 12GB baseline but it's there to be used and, other than the Mac specific apps that link to my iPhone and iPad, running Win11 means I continue to have updated versions of the apps I use most, and less worry about security from lack of support.

This won't help many folk but, with the right hardware, it could be an option worth considering. I'm going to try it for a while, anyway - it defers the pain of splashing out over £2k for a new machine, plus the further pain of configuring it from scratch :)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.