Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro internal camera only works intermittently

When launching FaceTime I see the message “No camera available. To use FaceTime, connect a camera.” Zoom similarly fails to find a camera.

• I went through all the troubleshooting steps on the Apple website.
  • I took the computer into an Apple store. They agreed the internal camera wasn’t working— after a cold reboot-- and recommended buying a Logitech C920s HD Pro Webcam, which I did.
  • Now I’m trying to use my new C920s HD Pro Webcam with my MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014). Its OS is up to date (Big Sur 11.6.2).
  • So… I plug in the webcam.
  • The message on FaceTime is: “No camera available. To use FaceTime, connect a camera.” 
  • BUT: the FaceTime menu shows the HD Pro Webcam c920 microphone as connected (not the camera), so we know the device is plugged in. The message also implies that the Mac’s internal camera is also not available, which is apparently true-- the internal camera is not available for selection on FaceTime’s Video menu tab.
  • After rebooting the computer from a cold shutdown several times, both the internal camera and the webcam became available— but this happened randomly. I’d guess I got the cameras one out of five tries. Keep in mind that either no cameras were available or both were available.
  • On subsequent reboots, I’m back to neither camera being available.
  • Same experience with all camera-related apps, e.g. Zoom.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Jan 8, 2022 9:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 19, 2022 7:41 PM

The answer: Kaspersky Internet Security had apparently shut off all cameras. When I uninstalled this software, both the internal camera and the external webcam worked. I'm guessing that KIS upgraded itself and somehow set its control of camera access to 'off.'

So... my question to Apple Support people: Why didn't you think about software that has the power to shut off the cameras? There must be other software apps that have this ability. Having me reinstall the OS was a wild goose chase / rabbit hole.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 19, 2022 7:41 PM in response to SeeSigh

The answer: Kaspersky Internet Security had apparently shut off all cameras. When I uninstalled this software, both the internal camera and the external webcam worked. I'm guessing that KIS upgraded itself and somehow set its control of camera access to 'off.'

So... my question to Apple Support people: Why didn't you think about software that has the power to shut off the cameras? There must be other software apps that have this ability. Having me reinstall the OS was a wild goose chase / rabbit hole.

Jan 9, 2022 1:16 PM in response to SeeSigh

Hello SeeSigh,

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities. Upon review of your post, it seems that you are having some issues with your Macbook’s camera, as well as an external one. In these days of remote calls with family and webcam work meetings, we can see why you’d want this taken care of, so let us help from here! You’ve done some great troubleshooting already and we appreciate you taking those steps. Let’s continue by testing to see when this behavior occurs. 

First, put your Mac into safe mode and test. Booting into safe mode will disable any startup and login items from automatically opening, which can help us to isolate the source of the issue further. When you do this, you’ll see some unusual behavior from the display; this is to be expected. Please follow the steps in this article: How to use safe mode on your Mac. 

Next, let's see if this behavior persists in a second user account on your Mac. Please follow these steps to make a test account that can be deleted later: Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac.

Please let us know how these tests go. We're here for you. Have a fantastic day!

Jan 10, 2022 9:49 AM in response to SeeSigh

Thanks for all of that great testing. How about a diagnostic test next, with the external webcam unplugged? In fact, unplug all non-critical items from the Mac while you test. This article explains how to do this: Use Apple Diagnostics to test your Mac.

Also, when testing the external webcam, try using a different port to connect it to your Mac, so we can rule out possible issues that way.

Keep us updated! Have a good day.

Jan 9, 2022 5:38 PM in response to 1ssmith

OK...

(1) no login items automatically open.

(2) booting in safe mode: the webcam worked in FaceTime, the internal MacBook camera did not. Tried this twice- same result.

(3) created a new user. Cold restart: new user like main user: no internal camera, no external camera.

(4) main user (me) logs in after cold restart. No cameras.

Jan 10, 2022 1:53 PM in response to SnickZ.

Apple Diagnostics found nothing to report.

I tried plugging in the webcam in both USB ports. No difference: the camera only works in safe mode. In regular mode, FaceTime recognizes the webcam's microphone but not the camera.

Booting in safe mode, the external webcam works, but the internal camera does not.

Cold reboot normally: neither cameras work, but the webcam's microphone is recognized.

Jan 10, 2022 2:47 PM in response to SeeSigh

Once more, thanks for keeping us in the loop on this, SeeSigh. If your camera is working in safe mode, that might indicate that there is something opening during boot that causes it to fail but you did mention that no login item were opening, which rules that out.

At this point, further assistance may be needed. We want to make sure you reach the right team for help with your device, so we recommend that you contact Apple Support directly. Depending on your region, you may be able to reach them here: Get Support. They will be able to access the notes from your visit to an Apple Store previously and take a few additional steps with you to try to get these cameras working again.

Thank you for participating in the Apple Support Communities and have a wonderful day.

MacBook Pro internal camera only works intermittently

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.