Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does my MacBook Pro sometimes fail to charge when plugged in? It seems like it occasionally ignores the charger.

What causes a Macbook to ignore the charger? I have verified that my charger is working, and when the failures occur I have verified that all cables are securely connected. It just seems as if the machine just arbitrarily decides not to charge.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.1

Posted on Jan 8, 2022 11:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 8, 2022 10:16 PM

You may have Optimized Battery Charging set to ON on your MacBook Pro.

Optimized Battery Charging: This feature helps to reduce the wear on your battery and improve its lifespan by learning your daily charging routine. It delays charging the battery past 80% when it predicts that you’ll be plugged in for an extended period of time, and aims to charge the battery before you unplug. You can change this option in Battery preferences.

There is more information on this here ➡️ Charge the MacBook Pro Battery - Apple Support.

Axel F.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 8, 2022 10:16 PM in response to sjarol

You may have Optimized Battery Charging set to ON on your MacBook Pro.

Optimized Battery Charging: This feature helps to reduce the wear on your battery and improve its lifespan by learning your daily charging routine. It delays charging the battery past 80% when it predicts that you’ll be plugged in for an extended period of time, and aims to charge the battery before you unplug. You can change this option in Battery preferences.

There is more information on this here ➡️ Charge the MacBook Pro Battery - Apple Support.

Axel F.

Why does my MacBook Pro sometimes fail to charge when plugged in? It seems like it occasionally ignores the charger.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.