Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New iPhone question

Just got an upgraded phone and want to transfer photos. How do I do that without an Apple ID?

iPhone XR, iOS 15

Posted on Jan 8, 2022 12:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 8, 2022 12:27 PM

Photos should never simply be housed on an iPhone. If that iPhone is disabled, the phots are gone forever.

But in this case:

Newbie54 wrote:

we lost the password for the old phones Apple ID

If you forgot your Apple ID password - Apple Support

And the word "we" above sets off red flags. An Apple ID should be used by exactly one person. Each person, regardless of age, needs her/his own, unique Apple ID.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 8, 2022 12:27 PM in response to Newbie54

Photos should never simply be housed on an iPhone. If that iPhone is disabled, the phots are gone forever.

But in this case:

Newbie54 wrote:

And the word "we" above sets off red flags. An Apple ID should be used by exactly one person. Each person, regardless of age, needs her/his own, unique Apple ID.

Jan 8, 2022 4:13 PM in response to y_p_w

y_p_w wrote:

Apple suggests that everyone use a unique Apple ID, but it's not required. My kid used devices using my Apple ID and my wife's MacBook Pro is set up with my Apple ID even though her iPhone is on her own.

Apple does more than “suggest”: Here is what Apple says→https://appleid.apple.com/faq/#!&page=faq, specifically item 4:

Can I share an Apple ID with someone else?

Your Apple ID should not be shared with anyone else. It provides access to personal information including contacts, photos, device backups, and more. Sharing your Apple ID with someone else means you are giving them access to all your personal content and may lead to confusion over who actually owns the account. To share purchases, photos, a calendar, and more with someone else, try Family Sharing Opens in a new window.iCloud Photo Sharing Opens in a new window., or other easy-to-use sharing features.

If you share an Apple ID many bad things will happen:

• All contacts will be the same on all phones sharing the Apple ID
  • All calendars will be the same
  • All photos will be the same
  • Everyone sharing the Apple ID will be able to see everyone else’s text messages
  • The Recents list in the Phone app will intermix calls from all of the phones
  • The Reminders will be the same on all phones
  • Notes will be the same on all phones
  • Music selections will be replicated on all phones
  • Backups will be intermixed

Essentially, sharing an Apple ID means giving up all privacy between users of the Apple ID. You shouldn’t share an Apple ID any more than you would share a toothbrush.

Jan 8, 2022 12:40 PM in response to sberman

sberman wrote:

Photos should never
simply be housed on an iPhone. If that iPhone is disabled, the phots are gone forever.

But in this case:

Newbie54 wrote:

Apple suggests that everyone use a unique Apple ID, but it's not required. My kid used devices using my Apple ID and my wife's MacBook Pro is set up with my Apple ID even though her iPhone is on her own.

Jan 8, 2022 6:41 PM in response to sberman

sberman wrote:

Thank you, Lawrence Finch.

And to y_p_w, who said above: "I was just thinking that 'must' is a rather strong word like there's no acceptable alternative.", I would point out that I never used the word "must" anywhere in this thread, and I advise readers to consider the evidence presented above when deciding how to proceed.

OK Wrong word. But I parsed "needs" as in equivalent to "must have". Sorry.

New iPhone question

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.