Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Firmware Password Options MISSING in Security Utility Monterey

Brand new 16' 2021 MacBook Pro. Have original install of system that I have updated dutifully as updates become available.

I cannot add Apple Pay to my Mac because "Security Settings Have Changed." I had not touched the security settings.

Nonetheless, I start up in Recovery Mode. The choose the Security Utility from menu. The only options available are Full Security or less than that. Nothing on Firmware. Not on the utility screen, not in any menu. It doesn't help that when you choose Security Utility the language used when you go to quit: Quite Startup Utility. Which is it??

Repeat: I have never touched my security settings. However, I did use Migration Assistant to upgrade from a 2018 MacBook Pro running Mojave.

How can I get the firmware options???

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 12.1

Posted on Jan 9, 2022 1:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 9, 2022 2:07 PM

There is not firmware password available for Apple Silicon Macs.

This

Set a firmware password on your Mac - Apple Support

includes:

This feature requires a Mac with an Intel processor. For the equivalent level of security on a Mac with Apple silicon, simply turn on FileVault.

For Apple pay are you following:

Use Wallet & Apple Pay on Mac - Apple Support

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 9, 2022 2:07 PM in response to Drewonimo

There is not firmware password available for Apple Silicon Macs.

This

Set a firmware password on your Mac - Apple Support

includes:

This feature requires a Mac with an Intel processor. For the equivalent level of security on a Mac with Apple silicon, simply turn on FileVault.

For Apple pay are you following:

Use Wallet & Apple Pay on Mac - Apple Support

Firmware Password Options MISSING in Security Utility Monterey

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.