Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do I access itunes songs on my desktop

how do I access my itunes library from my desktop to sync with ipod nano?

Windows, Windows 10

Posted on Jan 9, 2022 2:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 12, 2022 10:01 AM

I'm almost certain that there are no updates available for your nano. It operates in a different way to the iPod Touch or iPhone and therefore doesn't require updates like the Touch and phone do. Your nano's current operating system version (1.0.2) suggests a 5th generation model. There were two later models I believe, but neither that, nor any possible updates (if you in fact have a later model) will make any significant difference to your experience with the nano. You should still check to make sure that there are options set for synchronising the nano with your iTunes. If there are options set, then any issue with the Sync between it and iTunes should be looked at in that context: iPod nano sync failure, not whether your iPod is out of date.

Your version of iTunes is suitable for your iPhone, you should have no trouble syncing the phone with your iTunes Library, although don't forget the caveat I mentioned previously; if the phone has been synchronised with a different iTunes Library, you will see a warning message telling you that the media (music) will be removed from the phone and replaced by the media in your current iTunes Library.

Regarding a new iPod Touch; yes, it will Sync with your iTunes Library. What you have to do though (as with the nano) is to set options for the Sync between that iTunes library and that device. Until you make specific choices about synchronising the device, iTunes will go through the motions of a Sync but nothing will actually happen.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 12, 2022 10:01 AM in response to Calchar

I'm almost certain that there are no updates available for your nano. It operates in a different way to the iPod Touch or iPhone and therefore doesn't require updates like the Touch and phone do. Your nano's current operating system version (1.0.2) suggests a 5th generation model. There were two later models I believe, but neither that, nor any possible updates (if you in fact have a later model) will make any significant difference to your experience with the nano. You should still check to make sure that there are options set for synchronising the nano with your iTunes. If there are options set, then any issue with the Sync between it and iTunes should be looked at in that context: iPod nano sync failure, not whether your iPod is out of date.

Your version of iTunes is suitable for your iPhone, you should have no trouble syncing the phone with your iTunes Library, although don't forget the caveat I mentioned previously; if the phone has been synchronised with a different iTunes Library, you will see a warning message telling you that the media (music) will be removed from the phone and replaced by the media in your current iTunes Library.

Regarding a new iPod Touch; yes, it will Sync with your iTunes Library. What you have to do though (as with the nano) is to set options for the Sync between that iTunes library and that device. Until you make specific choices about synchronising the device, iTunes will go through the motions of a Sync but nothing will actually happen.

Jan 10, 2022 2:23 PM in response to Calchar

Since the only way to get music onto an iPod nano was from an iTunes library, then the music should still be in that iTunes library. Would I be correct in thinking that you no longer have that computer and that the music is now only on your iPod (or the CDs)?

Syncing of music with iTunes is one-way, from iTunes to the iPod. Your only options now are either to recover the music from the iPod using third-party software, or by re-ripping from your CDS. That is, unless you have a backup of the music that was on your computer.

Jan 11, 2022 2:17 PM in response to the fiend

Thanks for the information. I do still have the computer, and I can manage to pull up the itunes library on it. Although it seems to recognize my ipod (it's a 4th generation Nano) it won't synch with it. I'm wondering if that old ipod is too old to be updated.

I don't see that Apple is even making new ipods anymore.

If I tried to synch my iphone 12 with itunes, would that work, or would I screw up itunes, the iphone, or both?

Jan 11, 2022 2:51 PM in response to Calchar

Calchar wrote:

Although it seems to recognize my ipod (it's a 4th generation Nano) it won't synch with it. I'm wondering if that old ipod is too old to be updated.

Updated, probably not, but you should still be able to synchronise it with your iTunes Library. Connect it to your iTunes and check to make sure that there are Sync options set for this particular iPod. To do that, click on the iPod icon that appears at the top of your iTunes window and select Device/Settings/Music. Be aware that if this iPod has not been synchronised with this iTunes Library, you will see a message warning you that a Sync will remove all the music from the iPod. However, if it was previously synced with this iTunes, there should be no issue.

I don't see that Apple is even making new ipods anymore.

Apple still sell the iPod Touch.

If I tried to synch my iphone 12 with itunes, would that work, or would I screw up itunes, the iphone, or both?

First of all, it depends which version of iTunes you have installed on your computer. So, look in iTunes' menu Help/About iTunes. What does it say for the "version"? Also, which version of iOS do you use on your phone? If these two things are not recent enough, you may not be able to synchronise the phone with this iTunes. We can discuss this once we have answers to the questions above.

Jan 11, 2022 4:15 PM in response to the fiend

Thanks for walking me through all of this. It's greatly appreciated.

My iPod Nano has software version 1.0.2 and it says it's "up to date". Although a message appears on itunes that says "synching iPod", the status bar moves a tiny little bit, and then just doesn't continue; I've waited up to 20 minutes and it just stays stalled.

My iTunes version is 12.12.2.2

My iPhone 12 iOS is 15.1.1

I really like the compact size of my Nano, and hope that something works to get it to synch. But, I perked up a bit when you said that iPod Touch is still available for sale (I looked at some of the details and ....oooh! It has a LOT more storage than my Nano!) - if an iPod Touch would synch to my iTunes maybe I'll need to bite the bullet and buy one.

Or would I have similar problems synching a new iPod?

how do I access itunes songs on my desktop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.