Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do i unlock my phone without restoring it

iPhone 6s, iOS 12

Posted on Jan 10, 2022 7:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 10, 2022 8:10 PM

No, not unless you know the screen lock passcode to unlock it. The one, and the only way to reset the screen lock passcode is to restore it, erasing it and resetting the device and passcode. There is no alternative. And that is by deliberate design of iOS and iPadOS. A device passcode reset requires the device be erased.

As long as you have an up to date iTunes or iCloud backup, once reset you can restore your data.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 10, 2022 8:10 PM in response to jdoe8848

No, not unless you know the screen lock passcode to unlock it. The one, and the only way to reset the screen lock passcode is to restore it, erasing it and resetting the device and passcode. There is no alternative. And that is by deliberate design of iOS and iPadOS. A device passcode reset requires the device be erased.

As long as you have an up to date iTunes or iCloud backup, once reset you can restore your data.

Jan 10, 2022 7:49 PM in response to jdoe8848

Looks like your iPhone has been disabled OR you have forgotten the passcode to unlock your iPhone to get to the Home Screen.

The only way you can unlock your disabled iPhone without restoring it is if you had iOS version 15.2 installed before it was disabled. You appear to have iOS version 12.x.x installed and therefore that option is not available to you. What is available to you is listed below:

You will have to reset the passcode to your iPhone by following the instructions in this guide published by Apple ➔  If you forgot the passcode or if your iPhone has been disabled. You will need a computer to execute this procedure and all the data on your iPhone will be erased.

Hopefully, you have a backup created on ➔ iCloud and/or on a computer. If you do then, you can ➔ Restore your iPhone from the backup file once your passcode has been reset and the iPhone has been returned to factory settings by the procedure in the link above.

Axel F.

Jan 11, 2022 8:24 AM in response to jdoe8848

Sorry, but no there isn’t. The intent is to ensure that nobody can gain access to a device, with data intact, without knowing the device lock passcode.

So if you don’t know the passcode, you can guess until it is disabled (and then restore & erase it), or go ahead and restore & erase it to set a new passcode. But either way, the device data is not available, except to the owner who could then restore data to the device from a device backup.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.