You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Recording FaceTime with sound

I have attempted to record FaceTime with sound more than once. Holding the Record Button does give an option to record the Screen with sound via the microphone. When FaceTime is operating it turns the sound recording off. This is an Apple failure which frustrates me. Is there a fix?

Posted on Jan 11, 2022 12:46 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 20, 2022 8:49 PM

@Erica_S1 this is not what the person means.

You used to be able to start a screen recording with the microphone enabled, but the OP i discovering that doing this tried and true method that may websites teach you how to do is not working. Audio is being not being recorded while there is a FaceTime call in progress.

This used to be possible, but it seems that this "feature" has caught the eyes of Apple execs and both the latest macOS and iOS are now preventing it. Yes, Live Photo seems to be the only option left right now, but this is not the answer the OP was looking for. The answer is that this ability has been removed.

The only solution is to use an older device with an older macOS or iOS version that still supports this.

This is a real hassle because there are many legitimate reasons to do this, and in many locations legal too.

Another solution is to record the audio on another device and then merge the audio and video together in something like iMovie.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 20, 2022 8:49 PM in response to Erica_S1

@Erica_S1 this is not what the person means.

You used to be able to start a screen recording with the microphone enabled, but the OP i discovering that doing this tried and true method that may websites teach you how to do is not working. Audio is being not being recorded while there is a FaceTime call in progress.

This used to be possible, but it seems that this "feature" has caught the eyes of Apple execs and both the latest macOS and iOS are now preventing it. Yes, Live Photo seems to be the only option left right now, but this is not the answer the OP was looking for. The answer is that this ability has been removed.

The only solution is to use an older device with an older macOS or iOS version that still supports this.

This is a real hassle because there are many legitimate reasons to do this, and in many locations legal too.

Another solution is to record the audio on another device and then merge the audio and video together in something like iMovie.

Recording FaceTime with sound

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.