Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Erase data after 10 failed attempts

Got my iphone erased to 0 after 10 failed passcode attempts. Is there any way to get back the data? Icloud was on only for contacts. And strange thing is that after it got erased it was accessible, no passcode, new iphone, just use it. Why is that?

iPhone 11 Pro, iOS 15

Posted on Jan 11, 2022 5:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 12, 2022 3:30 PM

Hi there! Thanks for tips. But the part of the problem I can’t grasp yet is that, when the passcode is forgotten or changed or mistyped by a kid, at any given point my data on my phone which I hold in my hands should be available to it’s owner. Through 2nd verifications or any other way. Because without any optional methods of password recovery I am losing all my data! Like photos that was collected for 5-6 years. It is insane! It just tells me that if I am not paying for icloud to back up my data it gives right to the machine just delete my 5-6 year data and plus give access to the phone immediately after reset. Come on Apple! There should be some way of doing it in a civil way. Well, yes! I later discovered that this function could be turned off, but I am not sure if it would be the same result.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 12, 2022 3:30 PM in response to kamote0628

Hi there! Thanks for tips. But the part of the problem I can’t grasp yet is that, when the passcode is forgotten or changed or mistyped by a kid, at any given point my data on my phone which I hold in my hands should be available to it’s owner. Through 2nd verifications or any other way. Because without any optional methods of password recovery I am losing all my data! Like photos that was collected for 5-6 years. It is insane! It just tells me that if I am not paying for icloud to back up my data it gives right to the machine just delete my 5-6 year data and plus give access to the phone immediately after reset. Come on Apple! There should be some way of doing it in a civil way. Well, yes! I later discovered that this function could be turned off, but I am not sure if it would be the same result.

Jan 12, 2022 11:54 AM in response to mushfig112

Hi mushfig112, We appreciate you reaching out to us. We understand that you are looking to recover your data after troubleshooting a passcode-related issue.

If you failed to enter the correct passcode ten times, it is likely that your device is disabled.

What you are experiencing is expected behavior.

As mentioned in the article below, when an iPhone is disabled, you have to "erase it and set it up again."

If you forgot your iPhone passcode

If you have a backup, you have the option to restore from your latest backup.

Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch from a backup

Take care!

Erase data after 10 failed attempts

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.