Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Shutting down iMac or not

Should I shut down my m1 iMac over night or leave it on sleep mode?

iMac 24″, macOS 12.0

Posted on Jan 11, 2022 10:14 PM

7 replies

Jan 11, 2022 10:52 PM in response to Community User

Hi there! You can restart your device once a while to free up cache memory. You can shut-down the MacBook incase you aren't going to use it in an immediate future. Apple MacBooks are built to handle Sleep-Wake action efficiently and hence if you are a regular user of the MacBook, you can simply put the MacBook to sleep. Trust this helps!

Jan 12, 2022 12:50 AM in response to Community User

It's really a personal preference. It will not harm your Mac at all. It is generally a good idea to restart your Mac once in a while to free up any resources that may have been impacted by misbehaving programs and processes.

Personally, I leave my iMac on most of the time and to make sure there are no issues with bad/dirty power, I keep it connected to an Uninterruptible Battery Supply (UPS) to protect my expensive iMac from the dangers associated with dirty power. It is the primary contributor to failures of computers.

Shutting down iMac or not

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.