Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How connect Apple SuperDrive A1379 to 2022 M1 MacBook Pro 16"

TBIRDVET says "Super Drive needs to be connected directly to Mac not through a hub or dock."

OK. So "ports" confuse me. I bought an EZQuest USB-C Gen 2 Hub Adapter 7-Ports and my GDrive Mobile SSD 2 TB CAN connect to the EZQUEST Hub Adaptor so I can back up my 2022 M1 MacBook Pro.

HOWEVER, my old Apple SuperDrive A1379 does NOT plug into ANY of the ports (USB3.0, USB-C Gen2, USB-C100 Watts PD3.0)

and...

I AM UNABLE to plug the SuperDrive A1379 directly into my 2022 M1 MacBook Pro.

HELP! What do I have to do? Buy yet ANOTHER adapter? I thought the EZQuest solved this problem. Thank you in advance.

Posted on Jan 12, 2022 9:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 12, 2022 9:50 AM

That Apple SuperDrive uses a USB-A connector. Your M1 MBP uses USC-C ports, so you need an adapter. Apple sells a USB-A to USB-C adapter cable for $19USD. Rather than the Apple cable, and for less than half the money, I purchased a XAOSUN USB-C to USB-A 3.1 Gen 2 adapter, which works exceptionally well with my 16-inch M1 Pro and iPad Pro for connecting USB-A peripherals.

Now, whether your old Apple SuperDrive will work with macOS Monterey 12.1 is an unanswered question.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 12, 2022 9:50 AM in response to jimtheirishman

That Apple SuperDrive uses a USB-A connector. Your M1 MBP uses USC-C ports, so you need an adapter. Apple sells a USB-A to USB-C adapter cable for $19USD. Rather than the Apple cable, and for less than half the money, I purchased a XAOSUN USB-C to USB-A 3.1 Gen 2 adapter, which works exceptionally well with my 16-inch M1 Pro and iPad Pro for connecting USB-A peripherals.

Now, whether your old Apple SuperDrive will work with macOS Monterey 12.1 is an unanswered question.

Jan 12, 2022 12:58 PM in response to VikingOSX

Hello VikingOSX -- Your answer was EXACTLY what I needed to know. I learned about "ports" too. Thank you! And, yes, won't it be great when -- I buy the XAOSN SCB-C to USB-A 3.1 Gen 2 adaptor -- and we both discover that the Apple SuperDrive does not work with macOS Monterey 12.1. Arrrrrrgh, Apple!!! Yes, your products are superb but you DO trip users up on important, obscure details.

Jan 13, 2022 7:44 AM in response to VikingOSX

Your reply gives me hope that my Apple Super Drive A1379 (external CD/DVD drive) WILL connect to my M1 MPB. I ordered two XAOSUN adapters and my fingers are crossed. BTW, I am kicking myself for buying the $69.99 EZQuest USB 3.2 Gen 2 Type-C 7-in-1 Hub from B&H Photo. Based on THEIR ADVICE, I mistakenly thought this hub could connect ANYTHING to my fancy new M1 MBP. So it goes....

How connect Apple SuperDrive A1379 to 2022 M1 MacBook Pro 16"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.