Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Two user accounts created with the same Apple Id on the same Mac

Hi As part of a test I created a second User Account on my Mac which I set up (without any problems) with the same Apple Id as on my main account. I now want to delete that second account to free up space but it looks as if the Apple Id is associated as much with the machine as with the user and will log me out of everything (iCloud, Find My Mac etc) for the Apple Id on this device.

Am I safe and is it straightforward to delete this second account?

I think it will be OK but I couldn't find the question answered anywhere and I just wanted to be sure!

I am running Monterey 12.1.

Thanks for reading.

Mac mini, macOS 12.1

Posted on Jan 12, 2022 9:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 13, 2022 3:31 AM

Impatient as always, I went ahead and signed out from the account I want to delete. I then logged out from that account and logged into the main account and that account was still signed in. So, it all worked fine. And a correction to the original question: the Apple Id does look as if it is associated with the user and not just with the machine, even when the same Apple Id is used across multiple User Accounts.

The question is therefore answered.

Thanks all.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 13, 2022 3:31 AM in response to torwalker

Impatient as always, I went ahead and signed out from the account I want to delete. I then logged out from that account and logged into the main account and that account was still signed in. So, it all worked fine. And a correction to the original question: the Apple Id does look as if it is associated with the user and not just with the machine, even when the same Apple Id is used across multiple User Accounts.

The question is therefore answered.

Thanks all.

Two user accounts created with the same Apple Id on the same Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.