Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Not able to create Form in Numbers

Im trying to create a form in Numbers in order to punch in data more easily into my spreadsheet. Numbers was initially not allowing me to do this as my spreadsheet contained merged cells, however I have cleared all merged cells but is still doesn't allow me to select my spreadsheet when trying to select which table the form should be for. My table as an option is greyed out.

If I simplify the table by removing some rows etc. the table will no longer be greyed out and can be selected as a form. It isn't tied to a specific row, instead as long as I remove some rows it will become available. Is the table to complex to be used for forms or what is the limiting factor? The table does contain formulas, however it isn't just the rows with formulas that can be removed in order for it to become available as a choice, its completely random.

Posted on Jan 12, 2022 1:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 3, 2022 4:02 AM

I might have solved it or at least found a workaround. I started by copying bigger and bigger sections of the sheet starting from the top (including the headers) and going down and then pasting it into a new document, then checking if it would allow me to create a form. It worked all the way until I copied the last page/section of the logbook. I got the same result if I pressed CMD+A and pasted it in a new document, it wouldn't work. But as long as I omitted the last section it worked.

You might think that there was something wrong with the last section but that is not the case as I even increased the amount of rows from roughly 1300 to 5600 just to see if there was a limitation with the amount of rows. Again, even with the now much bigger sheet it only worked if I omitted the last section/page of the logbook.

To summarize I cant see any other reason than this being a bug in Numbers as it clearly has nothing to do with the complexity nor the size of the spreadsheet. I'll will test it some more and get back should other issues arise. Many thanks for all the replies!

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 3, 2022 4:02 AM in response to iPilot X

I might have solved it or at least found a workaround. I started by copying bigger and bigger sections of the sheet starting from the top (including the headers) and going down and then pasting it into a new document, then checking if it would allow me to create a form. It worked all the way until I copied the last page/section of the logbook. I got the same result if I pressed CMD+A and pasted it in a new document, it wouldn't work. But as long as I omitted the last section it worked.

You might think that there was something wrong with the last section but that is not the case as I even increased the amount of rows from roughly 1300 to 5600 just to see if there was a limitation with the amount of rows. Again, even with the now much bigger sheet it only worked if I omitted the last section/page of the logbook.

To summarize I cant see any other reason than this being a bug in Numbers as it clearly has nothing to do with the complexity nor the size of the spreadsheet. I'll will test it some more and get back should other issues arise. Many thanks for all the replies!

Feb 21, 2022 10:28 AM in response to jaxjason

I simply type in a bunch of spaces before the text "Route of Flight" in the first cell (far left), that forces the text to appear over the cells to the right of the cell containing the text.

As mentioned in the original post I have marked the whole table and selected to clear all merged cells. And since the program allows me to select the table as a source for the form once I remove some of the cells (not just specific ones) should indicate that there are no merged cells. It just seems that the table isn't simple enough to be used with a form but I can't find any info to support that.

Feb 17, 2022 6:19 AM in response to iPilot X

Interesting how did you get things like "route of flight" to span multiple columns if not merged?

I can't seem to reproduce that, nor remarks spanning three rows with the text centered. I cant force my text to span across a new column without merging. it just wraps in the same cell if I try to make the text wider with spaces or something.

Thanks

Jason

Not able to create Form in Numbers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.