Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I get restore only messages from my icloud backup

iPhone 13 Pro Max, iOS 15

Posted on Jan 12, 2022 8:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 12, 2022 8:22 PM

The Restore process from a backup file, computer or iCloud, uses an all or nothing approach. You will have to restore the entire iPhone with all of its data from the backup file.

Do you use iCloud for Messages? If YES, then your messages are not stored in the backup files. They are stored separately on iCloud so that the messages can be synced across all your devices signed in to the same Apple ID. If this is the case the you cannot recover deleted messages because they are deleted permanently and across all your devices.

Axel F.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 12, 2022 8:22 PM in response to sivakanthasamy

The Restore process from a backup file, computer or iCloud, uses an all or nothing approach. You will have to restore the entire iPhone with all of its data from the backup file.

Do you use iCloud for Messages? If YES, then your messages are not stored in the backup files. They are stored separately on iCloud so that the messages can be synced across all your devices signed in to the same Apple ID. If this is the case the you cannot recover deleted messages because they are deleted permanently and across all your devices.

Axel F.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.