Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Backup over wifi only??

Why do I have to be on a wifi network to backup my phone to iCloud? Is there any way to change a setting or something that would allow me to backup my phone over my data connection?

Posted on Jan 12, 2022 8:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 12, 2022 9:27 PM

it may be possible for iPhone 12 or later.

Apple's support document Backup iPhone says

On models that support 5G, your carrier may give you the option to back up iPhone using your cellular network. Go to Settings > [your name] > iCloud > iCloud Backup, then turn on or off Backup Over Cellular.

This of course depends on the size of your phone data plan, the reliability of connection and possibly the phases of the moon.

For older - 4G or earlier - iPhones the data transfer is too slow and the connections sub-optimal for the important work of backing up your iPhone.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 12, 2022 9:27 PM in response to HaydenQuinzel1993

it may be possible for iPhone 12 or later.

Apple's support document Backup iPhone says

On models that support 5G, your carrier may give you the option to back up iPhone using your cellular network. Go to Settings > [your name] > iCloud > iCloud Backup, then turn on or off Backup Over Cellular.

This of course depends on the size of your phone data plan, the reliability of connection and possibly the phases of the moon.

For older - 4G or earlier - iPhones the data transfer is too slow and the connections sub-optimal for the important work of backing up your iPhone.

Backup over wifi only??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.