Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Transparent Images

I’m an artist who relies on importing and exporting transparent images. Currently I’ve had issues with PNG files not saving as transparent in my gallery. (Sometimes the transparent image saves properly, but then the image becomes low res with a filled background a few minutes later) I’ve tinkered with my iPad settings and drawing app settings, nothing has resolved the problem.

Example:

As shown in the image, the drawing has a filled background while the thumbnail (circled in red) is shown as transparent. I’ve tried texting/emailing, and even just pinching and zooming in on the image, and none of these have fixed the issue.

Does anyone know a way to fix this? Or have any possible fixes?

iPad Pro 10.5-inch, Wi-Fi

Posted on Jan 13, 2022 10:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 14, 2022 6:00 PM

Hi again the walkingbaka,

Thank you for your reply, and for the added details.

Apple's support article: "Use iCloud Photos on iPad"

says:

Eg:

"When Optimize iPad Storage is turned on, all your full‑resolution photos and videos are stored in iCloud in their original formats, with storage-saving versions kept on your iPad as space is needed.

Optimize iPad Storage is turned on by default.

To turn it off, go to Settings  > [your name] > iCloud > Photos, then tap Optimize iPad Storage".

Or

To: "View and share a full-resolution photo or video

1. Select a photo or video from your library, tap Edit, then tap Cancel.
    2. The full-resolution photo or video downloads automatically.
    3. Tap , then choose how you want to share".

Be aware that keeping the original "transparent" pictures will take up a lot more of the available storage space on your iPad.

As it is becomes easy to "View and Share" when you know how, you may choose to keep things as they are.

Here's the complete article: "Use iCloud Photos on iPad"

https://support.apple.com/en-au/guide/facetime/welcome/mac

All the best :-)

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 14, 2022 6:00 PM in response to thewalkingbaka

Hi again the walkingbaka,

Thank you for your reply, and for the added details.

Apple's support article: "Use iCloud Photos on iPad"

says:

Eg:

"When Optimize iPad Storage is turned on, all your full‑resolution photos and videos are stored in iCloud in their original formats, with storage-saving versions kept on your iPad as space is needed.

Optimize iPad Storage is turned on by default.

To turn it off, go to Settings  > [your name] > iCloud > Photos, then tap Optimize iPad Storage".

Or

To: "View and share a full-resolution photo or video

1. Select a photo or video from your library, tap Edit, then tap Cancel.
    2. The full-resolution photo or video downloads automatically.
    3. Tap , then choose how you want to share".

Be aware that keeping the original "transparent" pictures will take up a lot more of the available storage space on your iPad.

As it is becomes easy to "View and Share" when you know how, you may choose to keep things as they are.

Here's the complete article: "Use iCloud Photos on iPad"

https://support.apple.com/en-au/guide/facetime/welcome/mac

Jan 13, 2022 8:13 PM in response to thewalkingbaka

Hi, and welcome to the Apple Community.

Mmmm ... Wondering which (drawing?) software and version you are using to create the transparent images on iPad,

and

which iPad model you use,

and

which iOS version is installed.

and

whether you are using iCloud to sync your images between devices ?

iCloud may be keeping the original image safe, and displaying a low-res copy on your iPad to save on storage.

Else:

Seems it may be the format you choose to use when you "save" the image.

Jan 13, 2022 8:30 PM in response to brbo

Hi, thanks for the reply.

The art program I use is Procreate.

My iPad model is a first gen iPad Pro, and has iOS 15.1 installed.

And yes, I am using iCloud to sync my images between devices.

iCloud is keeping the original images transparent however, I’m wondering if there’s a way to always automatically have the original image saved to my gallery? It’s pretty inconvenient to have to save and transfer images around into my art program to make them transparent.

Transparent Images

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.