Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mold/Mildew Smelling Charging Cord

I ordered a C- to C charging cord for my MacBook in December 2021, and TWICE it arrived reeking of mold/mildew. They can keep issuing replacements but they all smell. I have a severe allergy to mold mildew and despite wiping it with bleach, it still reeks. I called and they replaced it twice. I also ordered from Target and it has the same issue! What is going on! Is there another non apple cord I can use?? Has anyone else had this issue? If so, how did you resolve?? Apple support keeps telling me they will send me another cord but I do not want to waste since they are all stinky to the point I can not have in house!

MacBook, macOS 11.6

Posted on Jan 13, 2022 10:13 AM

6 replies

Feb 19, 2022 2:52 PM in response to AppleRN27

You’re right, Belkin is the one I got as well. The first time I went to the Apple store they weren’t friendly about it. Insisted they had never heard of such a thing and even refused to smell it (!). This past time, the person that helped me was lovely and really kind about the issue. While he wouldn’t identify the smell as mildew, he agreed it was terrible smelling. He did ask another associate to smell it and weigh in and that person refused, super odd. But they exchanged it.

Feb 19, 2022 1:42 PM in response to AppleRN27

Same thing happened to me. First one I ordered online through Apple. Reeked of mildew. Exchanged it at the Apple store, same thing with the second one. Went back to the store and we opened a third one, same thing. It seems they all have that issue so they sold me the Mophie version instead. Annoying bc it is more expensive and black but preferable to having that awful smell in the house. I wonder if Apple had a big shipment of these sitting in a shipping container during all the Covid delays and it all got mildewed.

Jan 13, 2022 3:37 PM in response to AppleRN27

..appleRN27:

There are some other 'citrus-based' cleaning agents available

which I've used on electrical cords & collectible camera gear..

..that could at least (maybe for a time?) get past a mal-odor.

I've also cleaned Mac power cords, MagSafe; & AC power.

(Some workshop heavy-duty electrical power cords of larger

size, also looked better & with reduced odors; almost none.

Even those kind from mechanical workshop use; grease, etc.)

A product called 'Goo-Gone' worked well enough for most items.

Even products such as WD-40 do adequately well, but be sure

what you may choose, stays away from those items which may

be more difficult to remove the 'active cleaner' or residue from.

At times, depending on effect or necessity, I'd used paper towel

&/or clean cloth pieces to remove different layers of gunk. None

appeared to affect electrical insulation; and any residue left can

often be wiped again an hour later, with clean dry cloth.

Newer Mac accessory cables have 'odd feel' to them; cleanest

as they can be, that is unlike most previous electrical insulation.

There may be some other avenue to locate products better suited

to remove this type of industrial scruft from a new or used product.

IF products were tested in bulk, with suitably numerous examples of

'tainted smelly' charge cables used ~ that then, may show progress.

..Thousands of end users could find relief, should that be a success..

Jan 13, 2022 10:36 AM in response to IdrisSeabright

Thanks for you reply, I appreciate it. Sadly, I have left the one from Target out and it is not an off gassing smell, polymer or VOC smell. It is clearly moldy smell. I also put it in a bag with silica to see if it would absorb the odor. Nope. I have cleaned it with bleach to no avail. I left first one outside for 3 days and it did not dissipate.

Mold/Mildew Smelling Charging Cord

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.