Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time machine Macintosh and Macintosh HD - Data

I've read the posts and still cannot figure this out. I've been using TM with an external drive for many months without any issue. Today when I reinstalled Big Sur, I now have two drives, "Macintosh and Macintosh HD - Data". And when I want to set TM prefs to my external drive it's not available (only with an option to remove), but the drive appears a second time in the list under "available", which I select, and I still get the error message "two of the disks have the same name...." No matter what I remove or select to use I cannot get TM to work. My biggest concern is the potential to lose my last six months of TM backups. Thanks for your responses.

Mac mini, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jan 13, 2022 11:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 13, 2022 5:14 PM

You should have Macintosh HD and Macintosh HD - Data, but you shouldn't see the Data Volume in the finder.

If you see Macintosh HD - Data in the Finder, open Disk Utility and remove the second Data volume.

The primary Data Volume will show a House icon in the info Pane when you select it. It will be mounted to /System/Voumes/Data.

The old Data volume will not have the House icon and will be mounted to /Volumes. Select it and click the Remove Volume button (–).

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 13, 2022 5:14 PM in response to Bill McGowan

You should have Macintosh HD and Macintosh HD - Data, but you shouldn't see the Data Volume in the finder.

If you see Macintosh HD - Data in the Finder, open Disk Utility and remove the second Data volume.

The primary Data Volume will show a House icon in the info Pane when you select it. It will be mounted to /System/Voumes/Data.

The old Data volume will not have the House icon and will be mounted to /Volumes. Select it and click the Remove Volume button (–).

Time machine Macintosh and Macintosh HD - Data

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.