Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

dmg file downloads for creating MacOS bootable USB//installers

From the App Store can I download the dmg ((to create a MacOS bootable USB//installer)) to a Windows computer, for later copying to a Macintosh device? Whenever I try to download these dmg's to my Macbook Air, it won't complete, because it thinks I want to run OS updates on my Macbook, but I only want to create a bootable USB. -RJN

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Jan 13, 2022 12:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 14, 2022 4:28 PM

Apple only provides downloads for a couple of versions of macOS installers from outside the App Store. macOS 10.11 El Capitan is the most recent OS that is worthwhile. macOS 10.13+ installers must all be downloaded as an Apple app from within the App Store which requires a Mac that is actually compatible with the installer you want to download.

If you need macOS 10.11, then yes, you can download the macOS 10.11 installer directly from Apple in .dmg form. Since this is just a standard macOS archive file, you can download it from any computer or OS and transfer it to a computer compatible with macOS 10.11. In order to use the contents of the downloaded macOS 10.11 .dmg file does require a Mac capable of running macOS 10.11 to extract. A link for the macOS 10.11 installer is available from the link that @mingoslkd provided.

If you want to archive a macOS 10.13+ installer, then that is possible, however, this still requires a Mac to download the installer in the first place. This allows you to store a macOS installer for later use if you have access to another Mac so that you can create a bootable macOS USB installer using a Mac that otherwise would be unable to download the installer from the App Store.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 14, 2022 4:28 PM in response to dodgersrj

Apple only provides downloads for a couple of versions of macOS installers from outside the App Store. macOS 10.11 El Capitan is the most recent OS that is worthwhile. macOS 10.13+ installers must all be downloaded as an Apple app from within the App Store which requires a Mac that is actually compatible with the installer you want to download.

If you need macOS 10.11, then yes, you can download the macOS 10.11 installer directly from Apple in .dmg form. Since this is just a standard macOS archive file, you can download it from any computer or OS and transfer it to a computer compatible with macOS 10.11. In order to use the contents of the downloaded macOS 10.11 .dmg file does require a Mac capable of running macOS 10.11 to extract. A link for the macOS 10.11 installer is available from the link that @mingoslkd provided.

If you want to archive a macOS 10.13+ installer, then that is possible, however, this still requires a Mac to download the installer in the first place. This allows you to store a macOS installer for later use if you have access to another Mac so that you can create a bootable macOS USB installer using a Mac that otherwise would be unable to download the installer from the App Store.

Jan 14, 2022 1:19 PM in response to dodgersrj

Hi dodgersrj,

Thank you for participating in the Apple Support Communities. We understand you'd like to create a bootable installer for macOS, and we'd like to assist. It looks like you've come from a helpful article:

How to create a bootable installer for macOS

As explained in the article, you'll want to quit the install after downloading the file. Then you'll want to look in your Applications folder for the file.

We hope this helps.

Take care.

dmg file downloads for creating MacOS bootable USB//installers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.