Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2nd User Account on Mac after transfer from PC?

I transferred files from my old PC to my new Mac, which already had my user account created, tied to my Apple ID. Once the files were transferred, it saved them on my Mac under a new user account, which migration assistant prompted me to make in order to transfer files. Is there a way to transfer them to my existing Mac user account? Now I have 2 users on my Mac, both me, but one has the transferred files from PC and the one I used doesn't. Forgive me, new to Mac.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.5

Posted on Jan 13, 2022 2:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 13, 2022 2:36 PM

Hello,

Welcome to Mac and congrats on your new purchase. The below User Guide section is about file and folder sharing between users.

Share files with others who use your Mac - Apple Support

"Make a file available to all users of your Mac

You can use either the computer’s Shared folder or your Public folder to make an item available to other users.

On your Mac, do any of the following:

• Put a file in your Public folder: Click the desktop to make sure you’re in the Finder, choose Go > Home, then drag the file (or a copy of it) into your Public folder.
  • Put a file in the computer’s Shared folder: Click the desktop to make sure you’re in the Finder, choose Go > Go to Folder, type in /Users/Shared, press Return, then drag the file (or a copy of it) into the Shared folder.

Files in a user’s Public folder or in the Shared folder can be read by all users of the Mac, but edited or deleted by only the owner of the file. If you want to allow other users to edit those files, you need to change the file permissions. See Change permissions for files, folders, or disks.'

I hope this helps.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 13, 2022 2:36 PM in response to Boretski

Hello,

Welcome to Mac and congrats on your new purchase. The below User Guide section is about file and folder sharing between users.

Share files with others who use your Mac - Apple Support

"Make a file available to all users of your Mac

You can use either the computer’s Shared folder or your Public folder to make an item available to other users.

On your Mac, do any of the following:

• Put a file in your Public folder: Click the desktop to make sure you’re in the Finder, choose Go > Home, then drag the file (or a copy of it) into your Public folder.
  • Put a file in the computer’s Shared folder: Click the desktop to make sure you’re in the Finder, choose Go > Go to Folder, type in /Users/Shared, press Return, then drag the file (or a copy of it) into the Shared folder.

Files in a user’s Public folder or in the Shared folder can be read by all users of the Mac, but edited or deleted by only the owner of the file. If you want to allow other users to edit those files, you need to change the file permissions. See Change permissions for files, folders, or disks.'

I hope this helps.

2nd User Account on Mac after transfer from PC?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.