Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Compose Mail Font Size

I searched the Communities message boards, and this topic comes up again, and again without a clear resolution. I'd like to increase the size of my "composing" email font without having it show up on the recipient's screen ridiculously large. Many posts have comments stating this doesn't happen - it only changes the font on your screen, not the recipients. This is NOT correct. I've tested by drafting an email in 24 point Helvetica and then sent it to my work email (Office365). It shows up and is displayed as Helvetica 24. Is there a way to change the size only in the composition window, or do I need to find a new email app?

Posted on Jan 14, 2022 9:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 14, 2022 10:22 AM

There are two different places you can set your font size. Usually, this confuses people in the opposite fashion. I guess in total, it confuses everyone, one way or another.

In Mail, if you go to Mail > Preferences > Fonts & Colors > Message Font, you can set the size of the default message font for incoming and composing messages. This font is seen only by you. Recipients of your messages will see them using whatever default font they have set in their system.

You can also set the font in the message composing window itself. This will do the opposite. This will change the font of the message, as both you and the recipient see it. The recipients can do the same when composing their own messages and send you messages where the font will override the default that you specified above.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 14, 2022 10:22 AM in response to David Burlison

There are two different places you can set your font size. Usually, this confuses people in the opposite fashion. I guess in total, it confuses everyone, one way or another.

In Mail, if you go to Mail > Preferences > Fonts & Colors > Message Font, you can set the size of the default message font for incoming and composing messages. This font is seen only by you. Recipients of your messages will see them using whatever default font they have set in their system.

You can also set the font in the message composing window itself. This will do the opposite. This will change the font of the message, as both you and the recipient see it. The recipients can do the same when composing their own messages and send you messages where the font will override the default that you specified above.

Compose Mail Font Size

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.