Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Weird tags in my finder preference list.

I was just going through my preferences to find something else and noticed 3 weird tags at the end of the list. They aren't enabled. I had some weird stuff happen recently while trying to get Bigfishgames manager to work on the new computer and now I'm a bit paranoid about malware.

Has anyone seen this? Is it something I should be worried about?

Thanks!

iMac 27″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Jan 14, 2022 10:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 14, 2022 11:55 AM

Any tagged file that comes into your Mac from a filesystem supporting Finder Tags will automatically enter that tag name into the Finder Preferences without activating it. Additionally, if you are concerned about mal/adware, then download (and do not subscribe) to Malwarebytes. If will indicate and quarantine anything it finds. You can then remove Malwarebytes from its Help menu.

You can select and remove those unrecognized tag entries via Finder Preferences -> Tags panel.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 14, 2022 11:55 AM in response to puzzlspuzzls

Any tagged file that comes into your Mac from a filesystem supporting Finder Tags will automatically enter that tag name into the Finder Preferences without activating it. Additionally, if you are concerned about mal/adware, then download (and do not subscribe) to Malwarebytes. If will indicate and quarantine anything it finds. You can then remove Malwarebytes from its Help menu.

You can select and remove those unrecognized tag entries via Finder Preferences -> Tags panel.

Weird tags in my finder preference list.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.