Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

photos and iPhoto libraries

I am trying to have one complete library of photos on my MacBook. I have 3 libraries I think.

• One that is automatically updating on my devices (phone, Mac,) so it must be in the cloud (I'll call this the iCloud library).
  • One iphotolibrary from 2011 that I downloaded from a thumb drive onto the MacBook, (2011iphotolibrary)
  • and one library that I created by copying and pasting individual pictures from multiple thumb drives into (I'll call this the "desktop library").

1. I don't know how to switch between the desktop library and the iCloud library or
  2. how to merge them into one.
  3. The "2011iphotolibrary" opened the first time I copied it to the desktop, but after I closed it, now it tells me I can't open a merged iPhoto library, and to open it in photos, but when I open photos the "desktop library" is what opens. not the photos in the "2011iphoto library."
  4. I also have a library on another MacBook that I want to merge.

Id appreciate any help understanding how this is set up and how to merge them all together.

Thanks!

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.0

Posted on Jan 14, 2022 1:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 15, 2022 1:44 AM

Hi

First - the iPhoto library. When you opened it it will have been migrated to a separate Photos library which should now be in your pictures folder.

Second - to open different libraries, hold down the option key while starting photos. This will bring up a pane that lists all the libraries on your system, and allows you to choose one to open - it will also tell yo which is your system library. Your system library is the only one that will sync with iCloud.

Third - how to merge:

1 - Take a backup of all your libraries. You need to be able to backtrack if anything goes wrong.

To merge libraries you can use iCloud. The basic process is to set each of your libraries as the system library in turn and enable iCloud for that library. The contents of that library will then be synced with what you already have in iCloud (and in your current system library)

2 - For all libraries excluding your current system library:

3 - Open each, starting with the smallest.

4 - Open preferences, and click the button "use as system photo library"

5 - On the iCloud tab of preferences, make sure iCloud photos is enabled.

6 - Wait for the sync to complete - this might take some time. Days (or even weeks for a large library). And bear in mind the library you are syncing will grow to the combined size of it + whatever you had in iCloud before you started to sync it. So you will need plenty of space on your system drive. Sync is complete when the status at the bottom of the all photos view says "updated just ow"

7 - Repeat for each library.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 15, 2022 1:44 AM in response to GMStacy123

Hi

First - the iPhoto library. When you opened it it will have been migrated to a separate Photos library which should now be in your pictures folder.

Second - to open different libraries, hold down the option key while starting photos. This will bring up a pane that lists all the libraries on your system, and allows you to choose one to open - it will also tell yo which is your system library. Your system library is the only one that will sync with iCloud.

Third - how to merge:

1 - Take a backup of all your libraries. You need to be able to backtrack if anything goes wrong.

To merge libraries you can use iCloud. The basic process is to set each of your libraries as the system library in turn and enable iCloud for that library. The contents of that library will then be synced with what you already have in iCloud (and in your current system library)

2 - For all libraries excluding your current system library:

3 - Open each, starting with the smallest.

4 - Open preferences, and click the button "use as system photo library"

5 - On the iCloud tab of preferences, make sure iCloud photos is enabled.

6 - Wait for the sync to complete - this might take some time. Days (or even weeks for a large library). And bear in mind the library you are syncing will grow to the combined size of it + whatever you had in iCloud before you started to sync it. So you will need plenty of space on your system drive. Sync is complete when the status at the bottom of the all photos view says "updated just ow"

7 - Repeat for each library.

Jan 15, 2022 2:47 AM in response to GMStacy123

As to the problem with your iPhoto Library - when you open an iPhoto Library, Photos will create a new Photos Library from it, with the same name as the old iPhoto Library. The filename Extension of the iPhoto Library will be changed to .migratedphotolibrary . This way Photos can tell, that the library already has been migrated and refuse to open it again. Probabably your iPhoto Photos are already in one of your Photos Libraries. If the photos are missing, you can open the iPhoto Library again in Photos, if you rename the filename extension of the library back to .photolibrary .

photos and iPhoto libraries

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.