Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problems trying to upgrade from Catalina OS 10.15

I have a problem upgrading from OS 10.15.1 Catalina to Monterey. I get at error message that says "Storage system verify or repair failed. : (-69716)." I have plenty of storage available. I can't seem to find a fix that works for this.

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jan 14, 2022 1:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 14, 2022 2:29 PM

Before you incrementally upgrade to Monterey you might give the following a try (be sure you have a minimum of 50 GB of free space on your boot drive, more if possibe):

I've had better luck from the Safe Mode because I evidently have some 3rd party software that interferes with the installation so try the following:

#1 - boot into Safe Mode according to Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3-5 minutes as it's doing the following; 
• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed
• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)
• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically
• Disables user-installed fonts 
• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

#2 - go to the System/Software Update preference pane and begin the download.

#3 - run the installer from the Safe Mode.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 14, 2022 2:29 PM in response to Mona from MN

Before you incrementally upgrade to Monterey you might give the following a try (be sure you have a minimum of 50 GB of free space on your boot drive, more if possibe):

I've had better luck from the Safe Mode because I evidently have some 3rd party software that interferes with the installation so try the following:

#1 - boot into Safe Mode according to Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3-5 minutes as it's doing the following; 
• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed
• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)
• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically
• Disables user-installed fonts 
• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

#2 - go to the System/Software Update preference pane and begin the download.

#3 - run the installer from the Safe Mode.

Jan 14, 2022 1:27 PM in response to Mona from MN

Really suggest update Catalina at least to something recent as Catalina OS 10.15.1 is well really out dated.

There are many reports of people attempting >>

1 - UpGrading to Monterey with out dated version of older version of macOS and failure have occurred

2 - Jumping from Older Versions like Catalina and Mojave, even if Full Updated and jumping over Big Sur directly to Monterey have also had some success and some failures.

3 - There are reports appearing on the ASC Forums regarding failed installation of Monterey on older Qualifying Apple Computers. In most cases this is related to having a NON Apple Original internal drive ?  

The EFI Boot ROM included in Monterey is verifying for Original Apple Drive and if not found , may Balk or fail to upgrade to Monterey. 

Reports indicate the EFI BOOT ROM is Required to Flash the Computer and is a  requirement for a Successful Monterey Installation.

Jan 14, 2022 1:41 PM in response to Mona from MN

Please, re-read the original reply.

Incase certain aspects have been overlooked see below and suggestion are supplied.

" Really suggest update Catalina at least to something recent as Catalina OS 10.15.1 is well really out dated.

There are many reports of people attempting >>

1 - UpGrading to Monterey with out dated version of older version of macOS and failure have occurred

2 - Jumping from Older Versions like Catalina and Mojave, even if Full Updated and jumping over Big Sur directly to Monterey have also had some success and some failures. "

Problems trying to upgrade from Catalina OS 10.15

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.