Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do i backup new macbook pro

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.1

Posted on Jan 14, 2022 2:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 14, 2022 3:26 PM

Small caution on the "2x the size" rule. I have a 4TB internal drive, but do not back up to 8 TB disk. If you only plan to use 1 TB of a 4 TB drive, use a 2 TB backup. By the time you use 2 or 4 TB on internal and need bigger backup, you will have gotten good use of the 2 TB backup.

4 replies

Jan 14, 2022 3:09 PM in response to kinglr

I use CarbonCopyCloner (bombich.com, $40) which duplicates the format/contents of your internal. The clone can be used to option-boot (hold option key at boot time with external attached) in case of internal drive failure. The first clone takes long, subsequent backups will only move changed/new files to external and will archive old copies of the changed files on the clone.

Clones allow overwrite of the internal drive in case of system failure to get you back to where you were ... the newer systems will likely be just full-replace if there are issues because all parts are soldered to the logicboard.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.