Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Media Volume is automatically adjusted while microphone is in use

Following problem:

I noticed a while ago, that whenever my microphone is in use, my volume playing media (e.g. youtube, netflix or spotify) is automatically adjusted.

The first thing I notice, as soon as the microphone is getting in use (e.g. with zoom, discord, or any other application) the sound disconnects for a few seconds and when it comes back it changed.

The next thing I noticed is, that when someone talks (e.g. zoom, discord) the volume of the media replay lowers until everyone stopped talking, then it automatically increases back up.

First I thought it's the "Attenuation" setting in Discord, but first of all it's not only when I use discord and second of all, it's there is nothing like this in setting on Discord for Apple M1

So my guess is, that this is some settings in MacOS Monterey since I never experienced this on Big Sur on my M1 Air. We tested this on M1 Air with Monterey, same issue.

Tested this with Apple Air Pods Pro and Bose Quietcomfort 45

Don't have any wired headphones to test this.

Please excuse my spelling mistakes and grammar, since it's not my native tongue.

MacBookPro 14"

Chip: Apple M1 Pro

Looking forward to any help. Very appreciated. Let me know if I have to explain this in more details.

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 12.1

Posted on Jan 14, 2022 2:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 19, 2022 12:39 PM

Hi sir_subecho,

Thanks for those extra details, as it clears up what exactly is happening.

Now that we know exactly what's happening, this does sound like expected behavior as it only occurs with Bluetooth headphones, and not with the built-in speaker. To explain this, we recommend reviewing this entire article: If sound quality is reduced when using Bluetooth headphones with your Mac

If you'd like to provide feedback about this, you can submit yours here: Product Feedback

While we believe this to be expected behavior from what you described, if you feel this isn't expected behavior after reading through the article above, we recommend reaching out to Apple using this link: Get Support

Have a good one!

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 19, 2022 12:39 PM in response to sir_subecho

Hi sir_subecho,

Thanks for those extra details, as it clears up what exactly is happening.

Now that we know exactly what's happening, this does sound like expected behavior as it only occurs with Bluetooth headphones, and not with the built-in speaker. To explain this, we recommend reviewing this entire article: If sound quality is reduced when using Bluetooth headphones with your Mac

If you'd like to provide feedback about this, you can submit yours here: Product Feedback

While we believe this to be expected behavior from what you described, if you feel this isn't expected behavior after reading through the article above, we recommend reaching out to Apple using this link: Get Support

Have a good one!

Jan 15, 2022 2:26 PM in response to sir_subecho

Hey there sir_subecho,

We'd like to help by looking into what's happening while your mic is in use.

Some of the details you provided are unclear, and we'd like to make sense of them by confirming the following:

1. You mentioned this occurs in video streaming services, but usually, these do not use a mic. Please provide us more details about this. The more we have, the better equipped we'll be to assist.
  2. You also mentioned that it occurs while using video conferencing apps(Zoom, Discord), but you also mentioned it occurs in other applications. Does this occur in built-in apps like FaceTime?
  3. Any app updates available? This link shows How to manually update apps on your Apple device.
  4. Have you tried a restart of your Mac? Check out the section 'Restart' here: Log out, sleep, wake, restart, or shut down your Mac
  5. When did this first start?

Cheers!

Jan 16, 2022 10:41 AM in response to bruno75

Hey,

thanks for your reply!

1. That's true. What I meant to say is, that when I join for example a zoom call (that's the moment my mic is in use) and I start a youtube video in the background at the same time. - In general, as soon as my microphone is in use, no matter which application my sound stops working and after 1-2 seconds it's coming back with a really bad quality until I leave the call or whatever and my mic is no longer in use
  2. Yes, same issue. Probably since FaceTime use my mic as well.
  3. Nope, everything is up to date.
  4. Yes I did. - I have friends with different MacBooks. They have the same issue.
  5. Honestly I can't really say. I noticed it about 2 weeks ago and tried to find a solution and google stuff. This is kinda my last way to figure it out.

Many thanks!

Jan 18, 2022 12:50 PM in response to sir_subecho

Hello sir_subecho,

While multiple people may be reporting the same thing, there are different possibilities for what may have caused this particular issue. Let's focus on your own Mac for now:

1. Moving forward with troubleshooting the issue on your Mac, it does sound like this may be an issue with the amount of traffic occurring. You mentioned this only occurs while using a video conferencing app, and only when starting to play a video from a streaming service at the same time. To confirm, does the issue remain even after closing out of the streaming video service while still using the video conferencing app? You may need to wait a little while for it to adjust after closing the video completely.
  2. You also mentioned that it 'probably' occurs while using FaceTime. As we'd like to make sure, when you checked, does it occur?
  3. Does this also occur when not using any headphones at all, and just using the built-in speakers?

We look forward to hearing about all three details in your next message. Take care!

Jan 19, 2022 2:40 AM in response to bruno75

Hello bruno75,

1. The sound "switch" starts when the mic is in use and it lasts until it's the microphone isn't in use anymore.
  2. It definitely occurs in FaceTime.
  3. No, it only happens with Bluetooth Headsets (Bose Quiet Comfort 45 and Apple Air Pods Pro). Like I said, I don't own a cable one, so I couldn't check that.

Thanks for your help! Stay safe.

Cheers

Media Volume is automatically adjusted while microphone is in use

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.