Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Volume Icon is Gone

My volume icon on the touch screen is suddenly gone and all controls replaced with the F keys. The answer provided in this thread HERE did not resolve the problem. This has happened on multiple devices and nothing in system preferences seems to fix it. It's always just a matter of time, but in the mean time extremely inconvenient as it means I can only control the volume through the sound menu under system preferences with the mouse - no turning up or down without switching screens. I've also attempted to restart coreaudiod with still no success. Any help is appreciated.

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on Jan 14, 2022 4:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 14, 2022 5:07 PM

Rmolimock wrote:

My volume icon on the touch screen is suddenly gone and all controls replaced with the F keys. The answer provided in this thread HERE did not resolve the problem. This has happened on multiple devices and nothing in system preferences seems to fix it. It's always just a matter of time, but in the mean time extremely inconvenient as it means I can only control the volume through the sound menu under system preferences with the mouse - no turning up or down without switching screens. I've also attempted to restart coreaudiod with still no success. Any help is appreciated.

Do you see it in the Control Center...(?)

https://support.apple.com/guide/macbook-pro/13-inch-macbook-pro-customize-the-touch-bar-apd5bd26b53e/mac

make changes to >System Preferences>Keyboard

Use the function keys on MacBook Pro with Touch Bar ...

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 14, 2022 5:07 PM in response to Rmolimock

Rmolimock wrote:

Do you see it in the Control Center...(?)

https://support.apple.com/guide/macbook-pro/13-inch-macbook-pro-customize-the-touch-bar-apd5bd26b53e/mac

make changes to >System Preferences>Keyboard

Use the function keys on MacBook Pro with Touch Bar ...

Volume Icon is Gone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.