Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot Create New Smart Mailboxes

I noticed at some point in the last week or so that if I create a new smart mailbox or edit an existing smart mailbox's rules these changes are not retained the next time I open mail.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.1

Posted on Jan 14, 2022 4:34 PM

4 replies

Jan 15, 2022 4:13 PM in response to planetmonk

Hi planetmonk,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities. We understand that rules for your Smart Mailbox are not being saved and we'd like to help.

Are you using the steps listed here? Use Smart Mailboxes in Mail on Mac

If so, Have you tried testing this issue while booted up into safe mode or under a test user account? If not, this is the best place to start. 

How to use safe mode on your Mac

Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac

Delete a user or group on Mac (to remove the test account once completed)

Keep us posted on your findings and if the issue persists, just let us know.

Cheers!

Jan 15, 2022 4:49 PM in response to Eric--F

Not only am I familiar with how to use Smart Mailboxes but I have also booted in Safe Mode with the same issue repeating itself. I also took the drastic step of (after making a Time Machine backup) completely erasing my Mac and starting up (without restoring from the backup) for a fresh out-of-the-box install, trying to create a Smart Mailbox worked but was not retained the next time I opened the Mail app (the exact same issue). This makes me think it's a macOS bug.

Cannot Create New Smart Mailboxes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.