Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

find recently modified files on my mac

How do I use finder (or terminal) to find all recently (preferably I can set the time frame) modified files on my Macintosh HD? Thanks.

iMac 27″, macOS 12.0

Posted on Jan 15, 2022 1:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 15, 2022 1:49 PM

In addition to Sherman's suggestion, here are two more:

(1) In the Finder, under File menu select Find and then you can specify all files modified after and/or before dates that you specify. Search over your entire computer or inside specific folders, but be aware that some folders are not searched by File/Find or by Spotlight.

(2) Download Find Any File and you can use it to similarly search over the entire computer or specific folders, but it will search through some folders that Spotlight or File/Find don't search through.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 15, 2022 1:49 PM in response to akfromnyc

In addition to Sherman's suggestion, here are two more:

(1) In the Finder, under File menu select Find and then you can specify all files modified after and/or before dates that you specify. Search over your entire computer or inside specific folders, but be aware that some folders are not searched by File/Find or by Spotlight.

(2) Download Find Any File and you can use it to similarly search over the entire computer or specific folders, but it will search through some folders that Spotlight or File/Find don't search through.

Jan 15, 2022 2:33 PM in response to akfromnyc

In Finder View menu, select Show Path Bar. Open a new Finder Window, and in its search field, enter the following which will offer any of the specified file types that were modified after that example date. There is the '<' symbol for dates before, and a range of two dates is connected by the '-' symbol. There is no kind:any to show all files of all types, and kind:file, or kind:folder will show you less than you expect, and more than you expect in that order.

(kind:pdf OR kind:image OR kind:word) AND modified:>11/01/2021

The Zsh shell has more power in the Terminal, and the article, Master Your Z Shell with These Outrageously Useful Tips demonstrates how to use Zsh qualifiers to isolate content by creation, or modification date.

find recently modified files on my mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.