Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Support For High Sierra OS

Has Apple discontinued support for High Sierra? I haven't had any software updates for it in quite some time now. Maybe about a year. I'm currently running High Sierra 10.13.6. If so, is the OS still safe and secure? My iMac is old - coming up on 12 years in March - but still runs just fine - knock on wood! High Sierra was as far as I was able to upgrade the OS. Started out with Snow Leopard. Thanks!

iMac, macOS 10.13

Posted on Jan 15, 2022 1:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 15, 2022 2:12 PM

Yes they did discontinue High Sierra, and that's why you don't have any security updates. That makes High Sierra more vulnerable to hackers(black hats). You don't have any software updates probably because your iMac doesn't support any OS after High Sierra.

Similar questions

6 replies

Jan 18, 2022 12:03 PM in response to --hi

Yeah, I assumed that was the case, but I just wanted to verify it. I received no advance notice - nothing, not even a quick "heads-up" - from Apple that they were going to discontinue High Sierra support. That would've been appreciated, just some common courtesy, you know? Not that I could've or would've done anything about it since I'm still using High Sierra and can't upgrade any farther on this particular iMac. I absolutely loathe Microsoft, but I'll at least grudgingly give them that. They always give plenty of advance notice when discontinuing support for old Windows versions. Ah well, it is what it is. Thanks much for the reply!

Jan 20, 2022 6:30 PM in response to KiltedTim

Well, I don't remember seeing ANY type of warning from Apple about dropping support for High Sierra - in an email to me, in articles, notices, etc. That's just my personal experience with it. If they did do that, then I missed them.

No, my Mac isn't compatible with something higher. High Sierra was as far as I could take it with the hardware on it. Started out with Snow Leopard when I got it. It's a late 2009 Intel release Mac and I bought it in March 2010. Now almost 12 years old and still works great - knock on wood! I see no reason to upgrade to a new Mac. Yeah, I realize I will someday in the future.

Thanks!

Support For High Sierra OS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.